Last Updated on
With dozens of different choices available, DIY starter crochet kits have become one of the most popular ways for beginners to learn all about the hobby. Kits come in handy because they have everything you need to get started with a project including hooks, instructions, and enough yarn to create a project. There’s no need to worry about buying the right-sized hook or finding easy-to-understand pattern instructions. Everything’s included in your kit.
Crochet kits come in a variety of different skill ranges and project styles. To know which kit is the best fit for you, we’ve reviewed the best crochet kits available for both beginners and more advanced crocheters.
The Best Crochet Kits Reviewed
4M Easy to Do Crochet
One of the most popular crochet kits on the market, the 4M Easy to Do Crochet’s brightly colored yarns and quick-to-make projects will inspire any beginning crocheter. The kit comes with two hooks, a tapestry needle, and seven different vibrant yarns. There’s enough yarn included in the kit to complete any three of the four included patterns. Patterns include coasters, a handbag, a placemat or a belt.
- Enough materials included for making more than one project.
- Patterns include both basic and some intermediate crochet techniques.
- Instructions included for both right and left-handed crocheters.
- Pattern instructions require some basic knowledge of crochet.
- Yarn colors geared towards children and teens.
Learn to Crochet Beginner Kit: Dishcloth
Many crochet instructors start teaching crochet classes with a dishcloth project. Simple stitches and quick-to-finish, this beginner kit from Knit Picks includes everything you need to crochet your very first dishcloth project. After the first project is finished, there’s enough yarn to complete two more matching dishcloths. Neatly packaged in a gift box, it’s the perfect gift for a DIY friend.
- Includes all the materials for three color-coordinated dishcloths.
- Step-by-step photo instructions intended to teach crochet to anyone without prior knowledge.
- High-quality Dishie brand yarn and a Caspian brand metal crochet hook.
- One of the higher-priced crochet kits on the market.
- Only includes instructions for one basic project.
Lion Brand One and Done Kit
If you’re short on time but still ready to create a fun project, the Lion Brand One and Done Crochet Kits should be top on your list. Each kit comes with enough high-quality Lion Brand acrylic/wool blend yarn to complete the project in under six hours. The kit also a hook and includes easy-to-follow instructions, written for the beginner in mind.
- Kits can be purchased for hats, scarves, or cowls.
- Completed projects take less than 6 hours to complete.
- High-quality yarns from a trusted manufacturer.
- Neatly packaged kits make a great gift item for a DIY crafter.
- With only one pattern per kit, this is a more expensive purchase than other options.
Loops and Threads Learn to Crochet Kit
If you’re one of the many DIY crafters who already have a yarn stash waiting for fresh project ideas, consider the Loops and Threads Learn to Crochet Kit. The kit contains one metal crochet hook in size G along with a pattern book describing basic crochet techniques and four simple projects.
- The kit allows you to choose your own medium weight yarn from your own stash.
- Easy to follow instructions written for younger learners.
- Instructions for both right and left-handed crocheters.
- A small investment to decide if crochet is a good fit.
- It only comes with one crochet hook.
- No yarn included.
Red Heart Learn Crochet! Kit
Manufactured by one of the most beloved yarn brands of all time, Red Heart’s Learn Crochet! Kit has all the tools you need to jumpstart a thriving crochet hobby. Along with an instruction book, the kit contains five metal crochet hooks (US sizes G, H, I, J & K), yarn needles and a Susan Bates Knit Check tool. The included pattern book provides both right and left-handed crocheters instructions to complete thirty different projects. While there’s none included in the kit, all the patterns are made with Red Heart yarns which are readily available online and at craft retailers.
- Patterns, diagrams, and instructions from a trusted brand.
- High-quality crochet hooks and tools.
- More than 30 different projects at a low price per pattern.
- Access to Red Heart’s online library of crochet videos to supplement the kit.
- Yarns not included.
- Instructions may not be suitable for a child or younger crocheter.
LOOEN Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Kit
Do you already have a few finished crochet projects under your belt? Have you built up a large yarn stash and are looking for a crochet kit to expand your hobby? If that’s the case, you may find the LOOEN Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Kit is the best fit. With more than 50 different crochet hooks in a wide range of sizes, this crochet kit fits everything you need into one carrying case. The ergonomic crochet hooks come in both rubbery and bamboo handles to help ease hand and wrist pain caused by crochet. Other tools include stitch markers, yarn needles, sizing tools, and needle protectors. Just add yarn and your favorite pattern!
- Perfect gift for yourself or a friend looking to upgrade crochet tools.
- Bamboo and soft rubber handled ergonomic hooks in sizes 1.0 MM to 6.0 MM.
- Everything fits in a zippered cloth case.
- This kit is meant for someone with some crochet experience. It doesn’t include instructions or pattern ideas.
- With 53 different hooks, you may be paying for duplicate hook sizes already in your crochet tools.
Things to Consider When Buying a Crochet Kit
There are a few things you’ll want to consider when purchasing a crochet kit for yourself or for someone else. Ask yourself these questions before you buy:
- What skill level is the kit meant for? Many beginning crochet kits are meant exclusively for children or beginners. While this can be great for those new to the hobby, for more experienced crocheters, you may find the materials and patterns lacking interest.
- What materials come in the kit? Not all crochet kits contain the same materials. Some have all the materials you need to complete the project, including instructions, yarn, a corresponding crochet hook, and any embellishments. Some kits come with yarn but not a hook, others may come with hooks and instructions but require you to purchase yarn separately. Read the instructions carefully so you’re aware of exactly what you need to complete the project.
- Do you already own some or all of the materials included? Although crochet kits have the benefit of gathering all project materials in one place, there’s a drawback to more experienced crocheters if you already own some crochet tools. By purchasing a kit, you may end up paying for hooks or materials you already own. Although can anyone really own too many crochet hooks?
- How affordable are the materials in the kit? Often times the yarn and hooks in crochet kits come at a premium over buying each component separately. The quality of yarns in crochet kits also varies. Some kits come with expensive, premium yarns, and others with cheaper yarns that are easier for a beginner to learn with. The added cost may be minor though compared to the convenience of having all the project materials in one place. It’s good to consider how much you’d pay otherwise.