Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Untangling Yarn

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan: I usually do that too but as a last resort I wind into a ball from the outside. Don't like to but hey, you do what you have to do! What are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I found a relatively inexpensive ball winder on the web (sorry, can't remember name of site) and it takes no time at all to roll the skeins into balls. Best crochet gadget I've come across in a long time. Its foolproof and no more dealing with tangled yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lili,
    I just finished a baby blanket made on the bias for a cousin's grandchild and decided to try making a prayer shawl by just crocheting to the halfway point. I am also attempting to finish up the yarn leftover from the blanket and other projects on this prayer shawl, so I'm hoping it turns out to be pretty as well. What is your current project?
    And, I agree that there are times when I have found myself winding yarn into balls. Just not one of my favorite things!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Susan. I do the same thing because I like to work from the middle. good luck everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ladies....I will give them all a try. I don't know why I do it, but as soon as I can wind up a skein of yarn, that my crippled right hand can handle, wind it up I do! Don't like working from a skein or pre bought loosely wound yarn. Strange I know!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do the same as Susanvanzandt...seems to work for me. Also use a large plastic tub for yarn, when it unwinds, it is just in the tub especially when I wind the skeins into balls, helps it from rolling all over the floor, can just put the needles and project in the tub when not in use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had that happen too but usually if I put the yarn in a zip lock bag and have it lower than my work area it does not tangle. You can use any kind of bag really, I have. Just put a hole in the bag. I have read though that you should have your yarn at the same level as your work surface because it is easier on your wrists. I think I saw that on the Crochet Crowd on You Tube. One more thing sometimes if you just shake the yarn it will untangle. Anyway, that works for me!
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all of you. Lots of time just shaking the yarn works. A couple of weeks ago my grandson was "yarning" and made a pretty big mess. Just can't face it yet so that is one of my projects to work on the next time we take a trip!

Susan: I also make baby blankets on the diagonal. I never thought to make a prayer shawl with only half but what a good idea. I love the pattern and it would make a good shawl. Thanks for the great idea!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jan, LOL on the "helpful furballs"!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I told my husband about the 2 liter soda bottle and he said he would cut the bottle towards the bottom instead of cutting it in half then your yarn wouldn't get caught on the cut part of the bottle.