Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Untangling Yarn

Post Thanks / Like

Untangling Yarn

When I start to crochet from a skein of yarn, I start from the center of the skein. After I've crocheted awhile, I always get to where I can't crochet anymore because the skein is knotted up and I have to untangle the yarn before I can continue crocheting. Does anyone else have this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie: Sometimes I have a terrible time with the yarn. I picked up 5 kits from Project Linus and some of that yarn was horrible. I got to the point that I started winding it into balls before even trying to use it, from the outside and worked in. Don't know how they can screw that up so badly. It is so frustrating, I just want to crochet and have to stop to untangle what is usually a huge mess. Sometimes my husband says work on something else and he will untangle. Bless his heart!!!! What are you working on now?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm making a baby blanket for my niece. The pattern says to do 73 rows. I've done 50 rows but one side is at an angle so I'm adding on to the main part of the blanket using a slip stitch to connect it and decreasing some stitches so the blanket won't be at an angle on the one side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never pull the yarn from the center any more. It always seemed to tangle sooner or later. I just put my yarn in a brown grocery sack at my feet, and let it unroll from the outside. Every so often, I just give it a "tug" to unwind more. It rolls over in the bag nicely and doesn't tangle.

I don't want to take the time to have to roll it into a ball, so this works well for me.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the idea. I just might try that sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lady at our Project Linus meetings uses a Rubbermaid/Tupperware container for her skein and I had never thought of that (like a spaghetti container). The paper bag is a good idea too....

7. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found that if you take a 2 litre pop bottle(soda bottle for those from the South), wash it and then cut it in two about 4-5 inches from the bottom, place the yarn in the bottom section and then run the outside strand thru the neck of the bottle and then use duct tape to connect the bottle back together again. The yarn will not only come undone inside the bottle but will also remain clean. And you can place the cap back on when you stop for a while so the yarn does not come undone until you want it to. Also, it prevents helpful furballs from wanting to play with the yarn.--Jan

9. Likes GrammaJoe, Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pop bottle idea sounds like a neat solution! I like my bag system because I have small grandchildren who sometimes drop in unannounced. I can just drop what I'm working on in the bag with the yarn and hide it away quickly from curious little fingers. And, sometimes, it's a surprise for them that I don't want them to see me working on.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I have run into tje same problem..I just untangle and keep on going... I prefer to go from the middle out...

12. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with the last poster. I will spend five minutes searching for the end in the middle before I would think of starting from the outside. When I took a crochet class, out instructor showed us the soda bottle idea and that works well, but I still prefer to work from the center out. If it pulls while I'm working, I generally find that if I dig into the center again and pull some yarn out I will find a small tangle which is easily straightened. Hope I haven't run on too long!

14. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post