Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    i will tend to buy 1 or 2. it depends on the size of the skein and yardage. about a month ago i bought the immpecable yarn from michael's. i bought 1 skein of each color, i will do alot of hats with the yarn. and the yarn i have left over i will make them into scrap hats.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I am thinking of making an afghan I always get 10 skeins, I like a nice big afghan. If I am thinking of a hat and scarf to match I normally get 3 or 4. I try to get all I need at one time, to often it isn't there when I go back.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    You are asking the wrong person, as when I pass the yarn it calls my name and asks me to take it home, which I usually do. SOmetimes I have a specific project in mind and will buy the amount needed plus one extra skein that can be returned. I found that by storing the yarn inb my closet it multiplies, so I now keep it in a very large alcove in the bedroom in 30 gal. clear plastic containers. I think I probably would have to live to be at least 125, buy not one more skein of yarn, in order to finish using the yarn I already have.
    I do make a lot of chemo caps that are donated to the local hosptial for children and adults who are undergoing chemo, so the spare skeins I have come in handy, and I also am making Kozy Kovers that are small little blankets for children in hospital, which also gives me the opportunityh to use the spare skeins I have.
    I try to buy the yarn at Michael's and Joann's when they have the 40-50% off coupons, and I take a friend and we buy quite a bit of various yarns which comes to very little. Sometimes they even have a 40% off coupon of items on sale, which really makes a lot of the yarn very inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    crochetcrazy..... You hear those voices too??? Sometimes I totally avoid going anywhere near the yarn isles (never really works...) so that I won't hear those voices in my head. If (yeah right) I do give in and there is "that" particular shade of purple that I love I am not able to resist it... I work at a Walmart that has a very small selection of yarn but everytime I pass the yarn section (several times a day) there is a purple yarn there calling my name... I know I will cave in soon so I've been looking for a project just for me that I'd use it for.

Getting back to the subject at hand; I keep a small notebook in my purse with some projects that I want to do (one per page) giving brief description of it as well as hook size/suggested yarn as well as the quantity and anything that comes to mind. That way if I see (hear) a yarn calling to me I have a reference to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by crochetcrazy View Post
    You are asking the wrong person, as when I pass the yarn it calls my name and asks me to take it home, which I usually do. SOmetimes I have a specific project in mind and will buy the amount needed plus one extra skein that can be returned. I found that by storing the yarn inb my closet it multiplies, so I now keep it in a very large alcove in the bedroom in 30 gal. clear plastic containers. I think I probably would have to live to be at least 125, buy not one more skein of yarn, in order to finish using the yarn I already have.
    I do make a lot of chemo caps that are donated to the local hosptial for children and adults who are undergoing chemo, so the spare skeins I have come in handy, and I also am making Kozy Kovers that are small little blankets for children in hospital, which also gives me the opportunityh to use the spare skeins I have.
    I try to buy the yarn at Michael's and Joann's when they have the 40-50% off coupons, and I take a friend and we buy quite a bit of various yarns which comes to very little. Sometimes they even have a 40% off coupon of items on sale, which really makes a lot of the yarn very inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who hears voices in the yarn aisle! Maybe that goes along with the addiction to crocheting???!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bev,
    I don't know if we are looking at the same shade of purple in Walmart or not, but I just love the dark orchid, and there is another one close in color to that, which I have forgotten it's name at the moment. I am working on my 4th afghan in the dark orchid at this time. I have made two in the Herringbone stitch, and working on my second one in the wave stitch.

I love this color, I don't add any other colors with it, I think it is so pretty all by it's self, it's a nice rich color. I keep one done up to give as gifts, maybe this one I'll be able to keep for myself.....whoops just remembered I wanted to send one to my aunt. Oh well, just have to make another.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Beviboo View Post
    crochetcrazy..... You hear those voices too??? Sometimes I totally avoid going anywhere near the yarn isles (never really works...) so that I won't hear those voices in my head. If (yeah right) I do give in and there is "that" particular shade of purple that I love I am not able to resist it... I work at a Walmart that has a very small selection of yarn but everytime I pass the yarn section (several times a day) there is a purple yarn there calling my name... I know I will cave in soon so I've been looking for a project just for me that I'd use it for.

Getting back to the subject at hand; I keep a small notebook in my purse with some projects that I want to do (one per page) giving brief description of it as well as hook size/suggested yarn as well as the quantity and anything that comes to mind. That way if I see (hear) a yarn calling to me I have a reference to go to.

7. Likes Beviboo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On a sorta regular basis I make a list or add to one already started all projects I need to complete by ???. When I search for the patterns I will use to complete these projects, I add type and amount of yarn along with suggested colors. I do the same with wanna do items. All is in my purse everywhere I go. This makes purchasing bargain yarns so much more efficient. Once home put yarn and pattern in a box or bag ready to get at it. Keeps my mind organized as well so it doesn't drift off the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi,
    I haven't even looked closely enough to that yarn to know what color it is... if I get very close it will be in my basket... I'm getting pretty close to being able to start my PHD's... I have promised myself that I won't start a new project or even an ongoing project until I have my sewing/craftroom reorganized... My daughter Dawn has been coming over every few days to help me get things done and slowly but surely it is getting there. I can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel... then I'll get that purple yarn...

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    Hi Bev,
    I don't know if we are looking at the same shade of purple in Walmart or not, but I just love the dark orchid, and there is another one close in color to that, which I have forgotten it's name at the moment. I am working on my 4th afghan in the dark orchid at this time. I have made two in the Herringbone stitch, and working on my second one in the wave stitch.

I love this color, I don't add any other colors with it, I think it is so pretty all by it's self, it's a nice rich color. I keep one done up to give as gifts, maybe this one I'll be able to keep for myself.....whoops just remembered I wanted to send one to my aunt. Oh well, just have to make another.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! And I thought I was organized! Seriously, this is a great idea. I will definitely copy your example.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirro Hero View Post
    On a sorta regular basis I make a list or add to one already started all projects I need to complete by ???. When I search for the patterns I will use to complete these projects, I add type and amount of yarn along with suggested colors. I do the same with wanna do items. All is in my purse everywhere I go. This makes purchasing bargain yarns so much more efficient. Once home put yarn and pattern in a box or bag ready to get at it. Keeps my mind organized as well so it doesn't drift off the track.

11. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much. You made my day. Doing something good for someone else is a blessing for me and you.