Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KathyFuller View Post
    I had always used the Boye metal hooks for both thread and yarn. When I was at Hobby Lobby one day, I saw a plastic hook from The Crochet Lite. The handles are colored plastic with a rubber, ribbed grip pretty close to the top of the handle. The actual hook is about one and a half inches in length, is clear plastic and has some type of LED light in it. I bought it because I thought it would be good for dark yarns. When I turned the light on, it really irritated my eyes, so I turned it off. I kept using the hook and I am telling you, it is THE MOST COMFORTABLE hook I have ever used. The hook uses some button batteries and are easily replaced if you use them enough for the light to burn out. As I said, I never use the light, so I haven't burned them out, but I have dropped them on my hardwood floors and the batteries have popped out and they're really easy to pop back in.
    Kathy, what is the brand name of this hook. I am crocheting a bedspread and the hook I am using is driving my thumb and wrist crazy. I have put it down because my arms get so tired pulling the yarn through the loops. I am using a cotton blend yarn which I believe is light worsted. It has 3 strands - I guess this is what is referred to 3-ply??? Anyway my hook does not slide smoothly and i am really crocheting slowly and getting very frustrated. So I looking for a hook that can make my work fly. At the moment I am using a 4.5mm Aero gray hook

2. Likes KathyFuller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    crjc....the name brand is The Crochet Lite hook. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. You can purchase online at amazon.com and also on the JoAnn website. This is the google search I did for the hook for someone else a few minutes ago. This shows all the results for the search.

Google

I have hook sizes F thru K in this brand. It truly is the most comfortable hook I've ever used.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use whatever hook has been given to me-mostly metal! I do have some large size plastic ones and steel ones for thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    crjc....the name brand is The Crochet Lite hook. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. You can purchase online at amazon.com and also on the JoAnn website. This is the google search I did for the hook for someone else a few minutes ago. This shows all the results for the search.

Google

I have hook sizes F thru K in this brand. It truly is the most comfortable hook I've ever used.

Thank you Kathy. I'll check it out.

6. Likes KathyFuller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    These hooks work very smoothly, as well. I think I forgot to mention that. I don't feel as if it's any work to pull the yarn. Now, when I use cotton yarn, it's a little harder on my hands and arms. I don't know if others have a problem with the cotton yarn or not. I have to concentrate on not pulling so hard. After I've worked with it awhile, I get used to it and it doesn't tire my arms out as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    These hooks work very smoothly, as well. I think I forgot to mention that. I don't feel as if it's any work to pull the yarn. Now, when I use cotton yarn, it's a little harder on my hands and arms. I don't know if others have a problem with the cotton yarn or not. I have to concentrate on not pulling so hard. After I've worked with it awhile, I get used to it and it doesn't tire my arms out as much.

Ok. thanks. I'll ck. it out and see. I also want to ck. the wooden hooks. Have you ever used the square wooden hooks. I believe Knitpicks has them. Someone was talking about them on the knittingparadise forum

9. Likes KathyFuller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I've never used any of the wooden hooks or square hooks. I hadn't even heard of square hooks. I'm new to the forum here. I've been crocheting since 1974. I am self taught and really LOVE to crochet. I don't do apparel items. Well, I did a baby layette once in the late 70's, but nothing since then except hats, headbands, and bracelets. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too - crocheting since the same time. Self-taught from a book. Crocheted alot of doillies, placemats, evening gowns, pant suits. Started, ofcourse with thread. Then I came to Canada and started using wool "yarn". Got on the band wagon crocheting afghans, baby stuff, toques etc. Still love working with thread though. I have had to retrain my fingers to gripping the thread after not doing it for so long.

12. Likes KathyFuller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean. When I switch to thread, usually in summer months due to the heat, it takes me a little while to get used to thread again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Kathy! It s very helpful. I hope to have occasion to get hook! I use thread#30 for doilies and "Tulip" hooks have wonderful "head" which takes strand greatly but handle is thin.....

15. Likes KathyFuller liked this post