Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  64
Page 4 of 9 First ... 23456 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a niece who is like that! She's not married and owns her own home, but the only reason she has a kitchen is because it came with the house!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjfrj View Post
    What a mistaken idea she has of what life after college is like. Many college graduates are without jobs or working in a job other than what they went to school for. Maybe living life will change her outlook. I taught both of my children how to cook, clean, iron and do other household chores. Interestingly enough, my son grew up loving to cook and will attempt to do just about whatever comes up around his house. My daughter started out much like this young lady - who needs to know how, I'll find another way to get things done - time has taught her that you need to know how to take care of yourself and it's not a bad thing to know how to cook, clean and do odd jobs around the house and, guess what, she's turning out to be an excellent cook and loves trying new things all the time. Life does teach us many thing.
    I think life teaching us is far more effective than parents teaching us, Im sure there are a few here who, just maybe, didn't listen to their parents either!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not "kinda sad" it's incredibly sad and very destructive to our society. Three friends of mine, all past 60, are supporting adult kids and grandkids. True, there are people who are responsible, but fewer and fewer with each generation THOUGH the Great Recession make reset attitudes.

As for the young woman whose going to college ... then what? Will she be able to get a job. Will it pay enough to eat out? Knowing how to cook is a survival skill.

I just get miffed when I read about people who think a degree means they don't need other skills. I have a B.A. and an M.A. and neither gave me the skills I have to run a household, a business, and manage finances. I made it my business to learn all the skills needed to be a functioning responsible adult.

I just wish more young people would realize that life is complicated and they need to be prepared.

4. Likes Carolyn Crye, Dsynr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My ex-sister-in-law was one who never thought she needed to learn how to take care of herself or things around the house. She would actually get mad at her parents for trying to teach her. Then when she moved out on her own she realized just how little she knew, and found herself very embarrassed, she ended up with MAJOR bad feeling towards herself, which lead to some rough years for herself and the family. It all seemed so unnecessary to me. But it made me aware of the importance of teaching my kids how to do all they need for themselves before they could leave my house. My son is a good cook, he knows how to do his own laundry and had life's basic skills. And now that my grandchildren are here they too are learning these same skills. When you teach them when young it isn't such a big deal. The 9 yr. old wants to do laundry from time to time even. Naturally supervised but it's great he actually has the interest. He's a good gardener also.

It is just way to expensive to pay someone to do little things around the house that we all can learn for ourselves.

Judi G

6. Likes Val liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you. You were / are a true parent to your son.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Bebe,
    I see the same thing about our family regarding crafts. Our grown sons, college graduates, say," if it's broke, I can't break it any more." They then try to fix anything. Usually they save a lot of money doing it themselves. Our DIL was amazed that our son fixed the light switch. She was pleasantly surprised. Our other son is always fixing their cars. Oh, well maybe crafts will come later in life for our "Girls" We love them just as they are!
    Mama Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    that is sad........but, unfortunately true!! (as far as kids these days!!) hopefully, tho, BEFORE they get out of college "reality" sets in!!! and, as far as learning to crochet or knit, it really IS sad, because as they get older, this is such a great pass time plus, you're able to give back to people with crocheted/knitted gift items......they definitely don't know what they will be missing! I have crocheted since I was in high school some 40 years ago.......and am so glad to have learned it back then...........it's a hobby/gift that keeps on giving!!

11. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter is 41 and she cooks dinner every night. I taught her to cook and she still asks my advice every now and then but she cooks a lot more often than any of her friends. My granddaughter that is still home has remarked that she is lucky that most of her friends don't eat dinner at home together. She is learning to cook and do laundry she is almost 15 and the granddaughter who is a mother of 2 at 22 is a fair cook but I think they eat out a lot.

13. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There is increasing scientific evidence that eating out. Resulting in a diet consisting of too much artifical colors, flavors and preservatives is a major contributor to the obesity problem in the U.S. And, our food isn't as nutritious as it once was and that, too, is causing a problem

Still, years ago as I was getting ready to take a trip to Europe my boss mused that he couldn't afford to go to Europe. I said that if you stopped eating lunch out everyday day and dinner at least 3 times a week, you've be able to go. He and his wife owned the business ate out all the time, including their 2 teenage daughters, and constantly complained that money was tight.