Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I think for me it is patience. It is not one of my strong suits so I can get easily frustrated. But when I find a project I really want to finish, I dig deep and make sure I get it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the most important thing I have learned is to NOT be afraid to try new stitches and patterns, and that it is o.k. to change a pattern or combine patterns to make something entirely different. That teaching yourself how to crochet and read patterns takes time, but is all worth it when the item is completed and if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Sometimes it means putting down what you are working on if you can't figure the pattern out and coming back to it later. It is very gratifying when an item is given away to see their faces light up in surprise" You made this? "Very worth while. Makes my heart smile!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, I'm making my husband some black fingerless gloves right now and am going blind!! I might be getting a magnifying lens on a stand from the beauty supply if they have one I can afford. Those things are outrageously high everywhere else! Black in small quantities from now on, for sure!!

****NOTE: The 'going blind' remark I made was in fun, just caused by the black being so hard to see....in case anyone mistook my remark as literal, I am NOT going blind. Sorry for any misunderstanding!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 10-08-2014 at 04:45 PM.

4. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've learned more than 1 important thing about crochet

I've learned that I LOVE to do it. I learned that it's been greatly helpful as a therapy to help me get my focus away from my chronic pain and focus on the intense concentration of new things. I learned that not only is the making of the piece exciting, the finished project blows my mind every time! I lay it down, rub it to feel the texture, then pick it up and stare it it again, not believing every time that I made something so amazing! It's become a wonderful part of my life, and I needed it badly. I also learned that most people who crochet are caring, kind, giving, supportive, encouraging, helpful, and love the Lord.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Im Susan2014 and sorry you have this Blindness you talk about. Is it hard then to Read? If so maybe ask Barbara if we can Capitalize for you when we say messages for you.?? Maybe your Insurance will Pay some?? I may have not seen any news about your Eyes so sorry if I sound Dumb. Magnify Lenses are High $$$ Will any Glasses Help? I really wish a Miracle for You. Prayers to You. Susan2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi my friend. You do so much and are doing Good, not as fast. Maybe me & my cane beat you for a 1/2 block walk ?? Too many miles apart. Hows Church & Shawl coming along. Take Care, glad to see you on CT. Hugs Susan2014

8. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, it was a big appreciation of my Mother. She was always after me to crochet, (she taught me the basics when I was about 7) I did crochet some, just didn't enjoy it. Didn't think I ever would. Now I just love it and feel empty without my yarn and hook in my fingers. I learned to read patterns, she never used one, and do a lot more advanced things, and still am learning new things as I want. I hated the idea of even thinking about doing an afghan, she made many, now I have 3 made as Christmas gifts for this year, and made 4 last year or so. My Mother, gone 27 yrs., would be so proud and happy. I see how it helped her with anxiety, and stress, when her dad was living his last months, as it helps me in that way with just life in general, at times. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I finish a project. I love it when I see a D-in-L , granddaughter or daughter crochet, knowing I taught them all. I feel blessed it comes easy to me, from both sides of the family. I just wish I could embroider like Mother could. Wow, she was really good at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan
    I am still making church shawls. I just finished making one for each of the ladies in the sewing group at church and they just love them. Also, just gave my doctor a scarf I made for him and one for his wife and daughter, too. He thought it was Christmas coming early lol. Right now, I know you would beat me in 1/2 block race....still not getting around very fast but at least I am getting around. Take care my dear friend. Hugs, love and prayers, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I have learned, after many, many years of crocheting, is that I can actually make something without a pattern. I made a sweater for myself, totally without a pattern, and was so pleased with the results. I held it up and said to my Mother, who has passed, "Look what I made, Mom!!" She would have been proud, because she taught me to crochet, knit, embroider, needlepoint and sew. She made things without patterns all the time and they were gorgeous.

What is the most important thing you have learned about crocheting or knitting?-dscn4116-jpg
    This photo was taken before I added big gold buttons. It is so warm and I wear it every Fall. You can't see it too well, but it has a collar.

I have also made a doily without a pattern. I had a small photo of it from a magazine and used a magnifying glass to count the stitches. I then wrote the pattern as I made it. It turned out perfect! If a pattern doesn't suit me, I know I can modify it. To me, its like a cook following a recipe. Maybe she wants to add something to make it different ... make it her OWN recipe. Same thing.
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

12. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's why I use lighted hooks, they are wonderful on any dark colored yarn.

Quote Originally Posted by Su O View Post
    Lately, I have learned that black yarn is very hard to see and so have vowed not to make anymore black items. I'm sure I will recant the vow but not this week.

14. Thanks Poinciana thanked for this post