Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 4 of 8 First ... 23456 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Learning to read the patterns and follow instruction, some times.

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Jo,
    I have a pullover sweater that I knitted that has one sleeve longer than the other one(I probably didn't use a pattern). I also crocheted a wrap around sweater that had short sleeves or was sleeveless and I didn't have to worry about making the sleeves the same length but you did a good job making the sleeves even!! The sweater looks nice-nice colors. It was probably hard to do the collar.
    Jean Marie
    Hi Jean Marie,

Thank you for your kind remarks about my sweater!! The sleeves were the same because I counted the rows from the first one and made the second one to match. They are actually too long for me, but I turn them up once and now have cuffs. The collar was actually pretty easy. I just attached my yarn to the neck of the sweater and started crocheting around until I got the collar the length I wanted around. Then, I just double crocheted 14 rows, adding extra stitches near the shoulders to help it curve. I finished it off with a row of single crochet. Very simple. It was the first collar I ever made. It may not be perfect, but it looks good enough for me.
    Thanks again!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like

lol

Count my stitches so that pattern is not crooked and if two are made, they are the same size
    Last edited by SusyQ62; 12-01-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also learned that, even though I crochet right handed (because that's how my Mother taught me), I always do my finishing work left handed. I am a lefty. For some reason, I just can't work in my loose ends with my right hand! WEIRD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbaehr View Post
    I have also learned that, even though I crochet right handed (because that's how my Mother taught me), I always do my finishing work left handed. I am a lefty. For some reason, I just can't work in my loose ends with my right hand! WEIRD!
    Hi Jo,
    I'm trying to knit after crocheting for quite a while. It's been a while but I remember how to knit but I don't think I knit the right way so I'm going to watch a video on how to knit. When I knit sometimes I wrap the yarn around w/my right hand/finger and sometimes w/my left hand/finger. When I wanted to wrap the yarn around as soon as I put my knitting needle in the stitch I taught myself to use my left hand/finger and I've seen people knit wrapping the yarn w/their right hand/finger. I might've seen it on video before this way too. I don't know how to make it so one knitting needle slides against the other one as you make your stitch. The only way it seems close to doing that is if I wrap the yarn around w/the right hand. If I wrap the yarn around w/my left hand then it seems to go faster. I think crocheting is more relaxing than knitting.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,

It has been so many years since I last knitted, I can't even tell you which finger I wrapped the yarn over with!!! I would probably have to watch a video also. I agree with you that crochet is more relaxing and I think it is faster too. At least it is for me. Don't give up, it will get easier for you the more you do it. What are you making?

~~ Hugs, Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo,
    I'm knitting a headband or earwarmer to go along w/the hat and scarf I crocheted. I've knitted a earwarmer before that I use myself and I have made hats and scarves before on the loom. The hats/scarves I just crocheted (3 sets) I wasn't sure if I was going to put it in the mitten plus drive or not and the mitten plus drive was done a couple weeks ago already but one hat/scarf set I decided to give to my niece for Christmas and then the other 2 hat/scarf sets I wasn't sure about who to give it to and was thinking about maybe someone at church and I looked at the Chrismas tree w/the tags on it to see what gifts people wanted and if they wanted any hats or scarves. No, I didn't see any but some people want slippers and maybe I could crochet or knit slippers. About the 2 hat/scarf sets I didn't know what to do with; well, I was talking w/somebody and she suggested that I could bring them to the community center and someone around there could probably use them.

I did watch a couple of videos on how to knit and found out that when you wrap the yarn around w/your right hand you also have to put the yarn between the 2 knitting needles. If you do it that way, I found that the yarn has that tightness and the knitting needles slide against each other easier which I wanted to learn how to do but if you wrap the yarn around w/your left hand which I saw on a video she said that wrapping the yarn around w/her left hand is easier because she is a crocheter. And yes, it is easier wrapping the yarn around w/your left hand. Sometimes I still wrap the yarn around w/my left hand. When you do the continental way of wrapping your yarn in knitting then you're not wrapping the yarn but picking up the yarn w/your knitting needle and sometimes wrapping it around if your not picking it up w/your knitting needle but sometimes I wrap the yarn around w/the left hand just like I would wrap the yarn around w/my right hand. I guess there is no wrong way to knit and we just need to find out what is comfortable for us.

Also on a video the lady said that the first stitch that you knit is always big so you have 2 choices. You can knit that 1st stitch really tight or you can slip the 1st stitch. And if you drop a stitch you don't have to panic, you can fix it w/a crochet hook. Looks like I dropped a few stitches.
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    The thicker the yarn the harder it is to knit and the more stitches that are on the knitting needle makes it harder to knit too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to learn to knit. It is a little harder. Than when I learned to crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    giggle giggle my husband is still waiting for that black vest he requested many years ago and my cousin has never gotten her black shawl. I hate black, a couple rows is ok as an accent, but never will make a complete project in black.