Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karen
    When you make a bookmarks do you use crochet thread for that?. I am asking that because I have a family friend who goes to church with bible twice on weekend. I was thinking for a long time that would be nice if I would crochet couple bookmarks for him. But, since I can't crochet with thread, so I just give up that idea. Couple months ago I came across beautiful crochet bookmarks on Etsy. I was ready to buy two of them for him. I even sent him pictures of them so he could pick the colors that he likes. When he sew them, he didn't like them. He told me that kind of style of cross belongs to a different religion. I was surprised what he was saying...?. I am Catholic and I didn't see anything wrong with those crosses.
    The thing is, I wouldn't crochet those using a yarn. Because in my mind they would be little to "bulky" and bible/book wouldn't close flat.
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karen. All the stiffening methods discussed will wash out when washed or will rend the coasters unwashable. I stiffen a lot of my stuff so I've tried them all. For a project you want to be able to wash, the finish row of sc will work the best imo. Sometimes an extra stitch at each point, in the finish row, will also help if you tend toward too tight stitches.
    If the Music is Good... Then Dance!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't use starch. if someone puts a cold drink on it, it may drip and the starch could melt onto the table.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karen, my mom used to cook cornstarch with water to the consistence of syrup, and dip the crochet doilies in it , after drying just iron and they woul be very stiff they would stand on their own, hope it helps, it works!

5. Thanks Casa de Luna thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa de Luna View Post
    Hi Karen. All the stiffening methods discussed will wash out when washed or will rend the coasters unwashable. I stiffen a lot of my stuff so I've tried them all. For a project you want to be able to wash, the finish row of sc will work the best imo. Sometimes an extra stitch at each point, in the finish row, will also help if you tend toward too tight stitches.
    Thanks much, Sunny!
    I'm thinking your way is the best.
    Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chimama View Post
    I wouldn't use starch. if someone puts a cold drink on it, it may drip and the starch could melt onto the table.
    Thanks, Chimama!
    Yes, I could definitely see how that would happen.
    Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsmom51@yahoo.com View Post
    Hi Karen, my mom used to cook cornstarch with water to the consistence of syrup, and dip the crochet doilies in it , after drying just iron and they woul be very stiff they would stand on their own, hope it helps, it works!
    Hi, Alexsmom51@yahoo.com!
    How nice that you have that memory of your mom doing that. I think I'll use that for when I crochet my wall crosses. Less expensive than buying the product from the store.
    KarenNeed Help With A Project, Please:)-cross-rhinestone-cross-jewel-jpg

9. Thanks alexsmom51@yahoo.com thanked for this post
    Likes Casa de Luna liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CrochetKaren View Post
    Hi, Alexsmom51@yahoo.com!
    How nice that you have that memory of your mom doing that. I think I'll use that for when I crochet my wall crosses. Less expensive than buying the product from the store.
    KarenNeed Help With A Project, Please:)-cross-rhinestone-cross-jewel-jpg
    You will not be disappointed Karen, it is better than anything in the stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like