Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Need Help With A Project, Please:)

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on using "Stiffy", fabric stiffener, or something similar on some coasters I'm making for a friend. They are supposed to be "sun coasters". You can see I'm not quite finished yet, but wondering if I should just block them with steam iron/pins or use the fabric stiffener so they hold up better. Here are my worries if I use the stiffener.....When hot cups are placed on them will they melt slightly and get sticky? And they can't be washed. However, if I just block them the "sun spikes" will keep curling up.
    And one more thing....The single pic of coaster is the back-side of pattern. How many of you like the back-side better than the front??
    As you can see, I'm obsessed with details, lol.
    Thanks Need Help With A Project, Please:)-sun-coaster-1-jpgNeed Help With A Project, Please:)-sun-coasters-1-jpgfor your help!
    Karen
    I'm hoping these pics attach. If not will try it again.

2. Likes starlite51 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karen
    Your coasters are very nice. It is hard to say what side is nicer. I think I prefer the right side.
    I am not sure what method of stiffing would be the best to do that. You want your coasters to be washable, anti- melting, anti- sticky. There are few different methods to stiffen a project. That is with: store bought fabric stiffener in spray cans or liquid, fabric starch in sprey cans, sugar & water, glue mixed with water. Maybe there are more ways that I never heard of. I think that no matter what method you will choose to use, you will need to block that with pins to dry.
    Hugs
    Krys
    PS: Maybe someone else will come up with a perfect advice for you .
    Last edited by Polishgirl; 08-14-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
    Hi Karen
    Your coasters are very nice. It is hard to say what side is nicer. I think I prefer the right side.
    I am not sure what method of stiffing would be the best to do that. You want your coasters to be washable, anti- melting, anti- sticky. There are few different methods to stiffen a project. That is with: store bought fabric stiffener in spray cans or liquid, fabric starch in sprey cans, sugar & water, glue mixed with water. Maybe there are more ways that I never heard of. I think that no matter what method you will choose to use, you will need to block that with pins to dry.
    Hugs

Krys
    PS: Maybe someone else will come up with a perfect advice for you .
    Thanks, Krys. I also saw that you emailed many more additional methods. I am going to have to give this one some thought. I've made coasters before. It's not that it's a difficult project. It's just that those little "sun spikes" around the edges are giving me fits, lol.
    Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CrochetKaren;142571]Thanks, Krys. I also saw that you emailed many more additional methods. I am going to have to give this one some thought. I've made coasters before. It's not that it's a difficult project. It's just that those little "sun spikes" around the edges are giving me fits, lol.
    Karen
    =====
    You are welcome
    I know, the problem is to keep those "spikes" looking the way you want them to look on your finished project. And "them" to STAY that way even after washing... I am not sure if that can be accomplished by only stiffening them. On the other hand I could be wrong.
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polishgirl;142580]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrochetKaren View Post
    Thanks, Krys. I also saw that you emailed many more additional methods. I am going to have to give this one some thought. I've made coasters before. It's not that it's a difficult project. It's just that those little "sun spikes" around the edges are giving me fits, lol.
    Karen
    =====
    You are welcome
    I know, the problem is to keep those "spikes" looking the way you want them to look on your finished project. And "them" to STAY that way even after washing... I am not sure if that can be accomplished by only stiffening them. On the other hand I could be wrong.
    Krys
    Hey Krys. Thanks again. I like your idea of felt on the bottom and some kind of spray on top like scotch guard.....but now we're getting pretty expensive, right? Maybe I should have just crocheted a round coaster, lolol.
    Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Karen,
    That idea with: plastic canvas, matching color of felt and Scotchguard. That will be extra expense for you. That spray would be the most expensive item. Last time I seen it was over $8.00.
    The idea of crocheting a different shape coasters it doesn't sound that bad!. You could always stiffen those stars very well and use them as Christmas ornaments. Your work wouldn't be wasted!!. You could even add some sparkle to that. Maybe some rhinestones with hot glue.
    Krys
    Last edited by Polishgirl; 08-15-2014 at 07:23 PM.

8. Likes CrochetKaren liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    To keep the edges of spikes from curling, you could either single crochet in each stitch all way around OR slip stitch in each stitch. I had same problem with stars that I made for the bra on a mermaid outfit, both techniques helped the problem.
    good luck

10. Likes CrochetKaren liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    I don't know if this helps but when my Mom crochet doilies she put them
    in liquid starch( don't know if they even make that now)
    But she put them in shapes and let them dry and they would stay stiff
    You could experiment with that and see if it holds up
    Use something else and try it and then put hot cup on and see if it melts
    I don't know where you live but I live in Ontario Canada
    The starch Mom used you had to mix with water
    I ll try to find out if it is made anymore and where you can get it
    Or another suggestion clear spray lawyer may work
    You would have to spray both side but might hold up
    I did my entire kitchen cupboards with spray and they looked new
    Hope this helps

Joy

12. Likes CrochetKaren liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Faultess makes a liquid starch. Looks like it is in a gallon jug. Worth checking out, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetbyruth View Post
    To keep the edges of spikes from curling, you could either single crochet in each stitch all way around OR slip stitch in each stitch. I had same problem with stars that I made for the bra on a mermaid outfit, both techniques helped the problem.
    good luck
    Hi Crochetbyruth. I really like your idea! Will try it. I appreciate your help.
    Karen