Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  62
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    How pretty are those birds!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

2. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was very interested to read. We have a lot of fruit trees in the neighborhood so that would explain why there are so many hanging around. They are normally in this huge tree in the neighbor's yard. We are going to get a bird feeder and start feeding them since they can be socialized. What amazing birds! Very "talkitive". I know they like sunflowers and I'll plant some for them this spring. Thank you so much for looking this up for us! Great reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGsDad View Post
    Here's what I came up with after about an hour of researching. From your photos, they look like Nanday Conures. Here's a reference where you can investigate and learn more about them. ParrotFeather.com | Nanday Conure It says that they are usually in flocks of 10 or more birds. You could try feeding them fruits and nuts. Let me know if you are able to socialize them at all.

And, yes, I report bird counts to eBird.org on a regular basis.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean

4. Likes janie mae, TGsDad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is so cool that they can socialize...the only feeder I've put out where every I go and stay...has been a humming bird one...and it has been the neatest thing....I have learned so much about them from just observing...please keep us updated Barby Sue.

6. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There are wild parrots that lie in one of the parks in Chicago. they traced them to a shipment that was damaged at O'Hare Airport in the 1940, releasing the birds into the surrounding area. They are quite the tourist attraction there. I would love to have them where I live.

8. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Is not cold for them in Chicago? No wild parrots here ... but I have 7 in my appts.

10. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried a humming bird feeder but it only attracted bees and ants but no humming birds. I just love these parrots, we sit outside in the evening and just watch them and listen to them. We never get tired of them. I feel very blessed to have them in our neighborhood. Awww, the simple pleasures of life!
    Barby Sue

12. Likes Anaisa, janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Give them fruits and raw veggies, parrots of all kinds love them. They also like whole wheat breads and cereal, cooked sweet potatoes. Have fun with them.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by BarbySue View Post
    I tried a humming bird feeder but it only attracted bees and ants but no humming birds. I just love these parrots, we sit outside in the evening and just watch them and listen to them. We never get tired of them. I feel very blessed to have them in our neighborhood. Awww, the simple pleasures of life!

14. Likes Anaisa, janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Judi, I didn't know they ate those things. It makes sense though since many birds do eat vegetation. We raise chickens and those birds will eat almost anything.

16. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband and I raised several different types of parrots for many years, then when I got breast cancer it was to much work for just him to take care of and we got rid of them. It was a huge learning experience. I loved learning about them, just couldn't keep up with the cleaning. Cancer is gone now, don't want to go through that again. Now I am enjoying my dogs and cat at home, that is all I want to clean up after.

I would love to know what type are living in Chicago. If I had to guess I would say it maybe Quakers, they are a green with a little grey on them, but mostly green. They are in the Parakeet family, but not the Parakeets we know off, they are much larger and a very sturdy bird. They build huge nests out of sticks, sometimes around electric poles.....not a good choice for them. And if memory serves they come from Australia, but I may be wrong about that.

Time to get crocheting.
    Judi G

18. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try the vegee idea. Lord knows there are plenty of fruits in the area with all the fruit trees. Right next to the big ttee they hang out in is the biggest grapefruit tree I have ever seen in my life it has to be 12-14 feet tall and I can't begin to tell you how big around it is. Not to mention all the orange, pappya, mango, and our banana plants there are around. But some sweet patato might add to their diet along with some grain. We want to attrack the cardinals in the area too. I'll have to see what will atract them as well. They are so pretty I would love to catch a picture of them and hang on the wall. Love your ideas thanks so much!
    Barby Sue

20. Likes janie mae liked this post