Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  12
Page 7 of 13 First ... 56789 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Patty, you can go on and on and on and on, etc.... anytime you want to about all the crafts you love with me anytime! xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    yes acrylic does melt under hot items. learned that the hard way.
    Good luck
    God bless

CrochetDee

3. Thanks Lynda Fey thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dee, sometimes the only way we can learn anything is the hard way, hahahahaha. I know that is true where I am concerned.
    I did buy my daughter the camo colored yarn to make her trivets and dishrags with in cotton yarn. However, I did get a cute acorn pattern from a CT friend (can't remember who it was) that I can use the acrylic yarn to make. So, I am covered on all things for her. xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used acrylic yarn for pot holders and have never had a problem even taking stuff straight out of the oven or setting pots directly on it off of the stove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ms.Dale, thank you for telling me that. That is good information to know. xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn is not heat resistant

Because it will burn or melt.
    Yes, when something is just warm that will work.
    I just wouldn't put anything straight from the oven (very hot) on ANY fabric. That needs to be put on metal trivet with "legs" that they are insolated. Or a wooden block or other materials that are heat resistant. But, not something made out of yarn.
    Krys
    Last edited by Polishgirl; 09-10-2014 at 04:30 PM.

8. Thanks Lynda Fey, Mary Laposta thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Fey View Post
    I have some acrylic yarn left that my daughter picked out for herself and I was wondering what kind of kitchen things or household things or wall decorations I could make for her to use up the yarn. The colors are pearl (white), medium green and brown. She likes the camo colors. Any advice would be much appreciated. I've already made her an afghan, table runner and a pair of fingerless gloves. I thought about some coasters but not sure how the acrylic yarn will absorb the water evaporation on the glasses. Thank you so much for your help. xoxoxo Lynda
    You could make some hot pads, or trivets to set on the table if she has a caserole or something hot. I have just finished some for my daughter. Even if you use acrylic yarn, that should not matter. I did use cotton on mine, but I have also used acrylic on hot pads and it works up nicely.

10. Thanks Lynda Fey thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome. Good luck.

12. Thanks Lynda Fey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well shoot! I didn't even think about acrylic yarn MELTING under a hot dish! I've got 2 pretty trivets I made that are on my kitchen counters. I've only ever set anything "warm" on them, nothing super hot right out of the oven. Thanks for letting me know!

Shelley

14. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Well shoot! I didn't even think about acrylic yarn MELTING under a hot dish! I've got 2 pretty trivets I made that are on my kitchen counters. I've only ever set anything "warm" on them, nothing super hot right out of the oven. Thanks for letting me know!

Shelley
    Shelley, if is only warm you are going to be fine
    When it comes to hot that all depends HOW hot?. And I don't think that any one would want to check the temperature with thermometer in each pot just to find out if is Ok to put that pot on a yarn trivet! LOL

Yarn trivets will work when you are putting food from the hot pots on platters or plates on the table. Even than, those trivets better have two crochet layers (thick). Some people will just sew any piece of fabric in the back. Because is cheaper and faster. That kind of potholders or trivets are not good!.

Did you figure it out (how to fix) that shawl pattern?
    Krys