Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  12
Page 8 of 13 First ... 678910 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using stuff like that for years and didn't even think about it melting. I guess the best bet is to try a small piece and see.

2. Thanks Lynda Fey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Krys, thanks! My trivets are acrylic but they were made with double strands and they're thick. I don't cook much, they're mostly on my kitchen counters as decoration.

And no, I never did figure out the shawl pattern. I finally just gave up.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    All these suggestions sound like wonderful ideas. I was just looking at those stacked pumpkins, and thought of a pomander. I think they would look great in those colours, if you didn't have a whole lot of yarn to use up.
    Last edited by Mary Laposta; 09-12-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: sorry.. my words got mixed up and had to fix the sentence

5. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Krys, I would never have thought to crochet 2 strands of yarn together. Only thing is, I'm not good at crocheting 2 strands of yarn together. It gets confusing to me. xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Fey View Post
    Krys, I would never have thought to crochet 2 strands of yarn together. Only thing is, I'm not good at crocheting 2 strands of yarn together. It gets confusing to me. xoxoxo Lynda
    Hi Lynda
    I think Shelley crocheted her trivets with 2 strands. I crocheted my pot holders with 2 layers: bottom and top & crochet them together around. Pot holders needs to be thick to protect the hands. Trivet needs to be thick to protect the tables or other furniture.
    Thickness of those items dos not have anything to do with melting or getting burned by hot pots. I am talking about trivets.
    Now, the cotton is little more resistant to heat than acrylic. But, it is not heat proof either. When is something very hot, both cotton or acrylic yarn should not be used.

Crocheted pot holders out of yarn work fairly well (as long as they are thick enough), because when we are using them just for a few seconds or so. We just don't stand there with a very hot pot in our hands for long. It works almost the same as ironing. When we are ironing we are moving that iron constantly. If we would leave that iron in the same place that fabric would get burned or will melt.
    XXX
    Krys
    Last edited by Polishgirl; 09-12-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Hey Krys, thanks! My trivets are acrylic but they were made with double strands and they're thick. I don't cook much, they're mostly on my kitchen counters as decoration.

And no, I never did figure out the shawl pattern. I finally just gave up.

Shelley
    Did you pick a diferant shawl pattern?.
    Krys

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynda Fay, I always use two colors of yarn, otherwise I'd get confused, too. Using two colors gives your project a kind of tweed look. Try it and see if you like how it turns out.

Krys, I'm still looking for a shawl pattern that's similar to the One Skein Shawl. I haven't given up yet!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Krys. Crocheting a top and bottom then crocheting them together is a good idea. xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Shelley. I will give that a try and see how I do with it. xoxoxo Lynda

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, if you do find a one skein yarn shawl please let me know. I would like to make one for my daughter in-law in purple. That is her favorite color. Lynda