Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hooded cowel??

Post Thanks / Like

Hooded cowel??

I have been looking for a pattern for a hooded cowel and have not had any luck at all. Does anyone have a pattern they are willing to share?

Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    Shaped like a hood, or just a cowl that is loose enuf to come up over head? Do you have a pic of what you are wanting, or similar?
    Shaddy
    Warmest regards, from Central Wisconsin!,
    Shaddy

Post Thanks / Like
    both types would be nice. My sister could choose what she wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    check your PM section gal
    Warmest regards, from Central Wisconsin!,
    Shaddy

Post Thanks / Like
    If you could send me your email address I could email you a pattern I purchased before Christmas. I made it for my youngest daughter. My email is cmball@hotmail.com

Christine BallAttachment 12019

6. Likes DonnaB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.pinterest.com/cindylou45...rmer-patterns/

go to the above web and you find lots of free patterns for hooded cowls and much more

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope this will help you. Plus you can go to the web site I sent earlier today . Hope you will enjoy the site

How to Crochet an Infinity Cow
    l

By Rhelena
    How to Crochet an Infinity Cowl
    How to Crochet an Infinity Cowl
    This is a short photo tutorial showing the basics of how to crochet an infinity cowl. It is very easy, but it can be a bit confusing if you’ve never crocheted one before.

The hardest part about crocheting an infinity cowl is joining the chains properly and working the first few rounds. Once the first few rounds are done, you can sit back and relax as you finish the cowl.

For this tutorial I used my Cross-Over Long DC Cowl pattern, but the principle works basically the same for any cowl. I put this together because the instructions for the cowl are not clear enough. Let me know if you still run into problems or if you need additional pictures and I’ll be happy to improve this tutorial.

(Also, please don’t use the colors of my stitch markers as a guide. I had to go back and redo a few images and didn’t realize I had used different colored beads in the markers.)

Instructions

Step #1:

Make your chains – as many as the pattern says. Notice the different sides of the chains. Here you see the right side, also referred to as the top of the chains. If you hold your work up you will notice that each chain creates a small “V”.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 1
    This is the Right Side, also referred to as the “Top”.

This is the wrong side, also referred to as the back side. What you see here are the back loops, also referred to as the back bumps.

Advertisement:
    Infinity Cowl - Ill - 2
    Wrong Side – Referred to as the Back Loops or Back Bumps.

Step #2:

Place a stitch marker in the back bump of the last chain made. This helps to take the guesswork out later as it can be difficult to see where the last stitch needs to be made.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 3
    Place marker in back bump of last chain made.

Step #3:

Lay the chains flat on a table so that all the Vs are facing up. Then take the tail end and twist it so that the back bumps are sticking up. So on one side here you see the Vs and on the other you see the back bumps. This is referred to as half a twist.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 4

Step #4:

Now join the chains with a slip stitch in the back bump of the first chain. This causes the half twist to remain. Basically you join the chains so the wrong sides of the chains are facing and the right sides are facing out – one to the top and one to the bottom.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 5
    Join with slip stitch in back bump of first chain made.
    Infinity Cowl - Ill - 6
    The join is complete and you have half a twist in the chains.

Step #5:

Chain 1.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 7
    Chain 1.

Single crochet into the same back bump as where you made the join. To help take the guesswork out for later, mark the top of the first stitch as well as the free loop at the bottom of the stitch. (You will work into these free loops for the second round.)

You can use different markers if you like, but notice the tail-end sticking out at the bottom. For the next round this tail end will face up as you begin to work into the free loops.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 8
    Single crochet in first chain and mark the first chain as well as the free loops below.

Step #6:

Continue to single crochet into the back bumps until you get all the way around. Image to the left shows the stitch marker in last chain that needs to be crocheted into. Image to the right shows the round completed. You’ll see the joining slip stitch in between the stitch markers – Do Not work into that stitch.

Also, notice how the tail end is now facing up. If it’s not, untwist or twist your work so that it is while at the same time making sure that you have half a twist in the circle.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 9
    One stitch left in round.
    Infinity Cowl - Ill - 10
    First round completed.

Step #7:

Here is a more detailed view. For the next round begin working into the first Free Loop where the stitch marker is.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 11
    Begin working into first free loop.

Step #8:

For this tutorial I used my Cross-Over Long DC Cowl pattern, which requires you to skip the first free loop and begin to crochet into the second loop. For this pattern, work the first 3 stitches as instructed.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 12
    But for this pattern, you’ll skip the first free loop.

Step #9:

Then come back and work the cross-over long dc into the skipped stitch (free loop).

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 13

Step #10:

Continue to crochet around working into all the free loops. In the image below I’ve crocheted around and am ready to begin crocheting into the very first single crochet that was made in step #5.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 14

It looks like you still have more stitches that need working into but thanks to your stitch markers you know that you have worked into all the stitches. Here is a more detailed image of what the stitch illusions really are:

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 15

Step #11:

For some patterns you might need to make a join here. But for this pattern I crocheted directly into the first stitch. This way you can sit back and crochet mindlessly until the cowl is complete without having to join any rounds.

Although it seems like you crocheted two rounds, technically you only crocheted one because in an infinity cowl one round goes around both the top and bottom.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 16

Step #12:

Continue to work around on both sides of the cowl until you have reached a desired height or as the pattern instructs.

Infinity Cowl - Ill - 17

Post Thanks / Like
    Would not paste the picture but you should be able to find this pattern with the picture.

Hooded Crochet Cowl with Lion Brand Thick & Quick Yarn #Scarfie

Zoe and I are showing off our Lion Brand Yarn #Scarfie projects today! What is a #Scarfie you ask? It's when you take a selfie (a picture of yourself) while wearing a crocheted or knit cowl or scarf! Selfie + Scarf = Scarfie... see what they did there?!
    Lion Brand Yarn generously provided me with two skeins of their Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn and I transformed them into matching hooded cowls for me and my baby girl. This yarn is super bulky, soft, and works up quickly! The pattern I have created is very adjustable and very simple. It uses one stitch throughout: the Half Double Crochet. I'm confident a beginner could make this!

Materials:
    - Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn in Fisherman and Fig. Although they sent me 2 skeins (on of each) I ended up using 3 skeins for my adult size and 2 skeins for the toddler size.
    - Size I/9 crochet Hook
    - Two large buttons
    - Large Tapestry Needle

Abbreviations:
    Ch = Chain
    HDC = Half Double Crochet
    Note about pattern: This pattern is totally adjustable. Both of these cowls turned out large. My daughter is 13 months old and it was roomy. Mine could have been made smaller and would have still fit well. But the oversized look is what makes this comfy and cozy. My suggestion is when making your foundation chains to measure it along your head (like a hood would fit) and then when making the extra chains for the cowl part, try it on and get a feel for how long you want it to wrap around. Continue to try it on as you go so you can adjust the number of rows you make to make it fit for you. Or feel free to follow the pattern as it is written

Small Hooded Cowl:
    Begin with the hood.
    Chain 37, HDC in 3rd ch from hook and rest of way down, ch 2, turn (35 HDC)
    Row 2- 13: HDC in each stitch across, ch 2 turn
    Fasten off.
    Fold it in half so it looks like a bonnet. Sew back together by making SC crochets along the back edges. Weave in ends and turn inside out (you wan the seam to be on the inside).

Now the cowl.
    Attach yarn, chain 2 and HDC along bottom. I was able to make 42 HDC along bottom (the exact count doesn't really matter) when you get to the end chain 20 (if I were to make again I would decrease that to 10-15).
    Row 2: HDC in 3rd chain from hook and rest of way down chain.. Continue to Hdc along the edge of cowl (60 HDC), ch 2, turn
    Row 3: HDC in first 57, chain 2, skip 2 stitches, Hdc in last (this creates the button hole), ch 2, turn
    Row 4-5: HDC in each stitch across, ch 2, turn
    Row 6: HDC in first 57, chain 2, skip 2 stitches, Hdc in last (this creates the button hole), ch 2, turn
    Row 7: HDC in each stitch across, fasten off and weave in ends.
    Sew buttons on.

Large Hooded Cowl:
    Being with the hood.
    Chain 42, HDC in 3rd chain from hook and rest of way down (40 HDC), ch 2, turn
    Row 2: 2 HDC in first, HDC in next, repeat across, ch 2, turn (60 Hdc)
    Row 3-19: HDC in each stitch across, ch 2, turn
    Fasten off weave in ends

Fold in half and sew back edge together with single crochets.
    Turn inside out so your seam is hidden on the inside of the hood

Connect yarn to one end of the bottom edge and chain 2. HDC across bottom. When you get to other end chain 20.
    Row 2-3: HDC in each stitch across, chain 2, turn

Row 4: HDC in each stitch across until you get to last stitches in row. Chain 2, skip 2 stitches, HDC in last two. This creates the button hole. Chain 2, turn
    Row 5-7: HDC in each stitch across, chain 2, turn
    Row 8: HDC in each stitch across until you get to last stitches in row. Chain 2, skip 2 stitches, HDC in last two. This creates the button hole. Chain 2, turn
    Row 9-10: HDC in each stitch across, chain 2, turn
    Fasten off and weave in ends.
    Sew buttons on.

Now I encourage you to post and share your own #Scarfie project! I would love to see you wearing this hooded cowl or your own Thick & Quick creation! Be sure to use the hashtag #Scarfie when you post on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!