Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Another idea to try to get edging started

Using your yarn and a tapestry needle sew a blanket stitch all the way around the blanket - Then just crochet into the top of the blanket stitch. Just an idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done lots of the fleece blankets. I prefer the edgeing to making a whole blanket. But i use a awl to make the holes. The hole has to be large enough to allow the hook and then the yarn to pass thru. Ask your husband if he has an awl in his tools and borrow it or a ice pick works well too.
    One lady I know even uses a small pair of scissors to make the holes.

3. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made many of the crochet-edged fleece blankets. I've done it by punching the crochet hook directly into the fleece (need a sharp one for that, by punching holes with something else, and lastly as was suggested by SCNick Knacks -- using a yarn needle and sewing blanket stitch around the fleece, then crocheting into that. I like both using the blanket stitch and crocheting directly into the fleece; both make nice edgings. But I think the yarn needle method is easiest. I don't really want to invest in another tool; an ice pick sounds like it should work very well. Don't know why I never thought of that! My sister and I made fleece blankets for all the folks next door as a thank you for all the nice things they've done for us. That was 7 blankets. It was fun to match the fleece and the yarn to each one's personality! I've done them for my grandchildren, too; all outgrown now so I guess I need to do it again with a larger piece of fleece.

5. Likes buggainok, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The self healing mats come in different sizes and different prices. Get the biggest one you can afford with a 50% coupon and try it. I think the foam will be too soft. I bought one of those tools too and can't wait to use it. Remember they said just to go one way one time with the rotary and I bet in very good light you should see or "feel" the holes with you hook... Are you using one of the long quilting rulers to hold the material down and running it along the edge like you would cutting material for a quilt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suejoycetn View Post
    The self healing mats come in different sizes and different prices. Get the biggest one you can afford with a 50% coupon and try it. I think the foam will be too soft. I bought one of those tools too and can't wait to use it. Remember they said just to go one way one time with the rotary and I bet in very good light you should see or "feel" the holes with you hook... Are you using one of the long quilting rulers to hold the material down and running it along the edge like you would cutting material for a quilt?
    I already have a self-healing mat for my papercrafting, and I just ordered the skip stitch blade from their website. Joann's and Hobby Lobby didn't carry it, so I ordered the blade online. I'm looking forward to making some cute little blankets!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Miss Abigail makes the hole punching look so simple. Her towel was nice. If someone measured and punched the holes, I could crochet all day.

9. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually used a hole punch It did not come out perfectly round but I am going to continue to work with it. I am waiting for a job to start, so just too cheap now. Christine Indiana

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen some flannel that already has the holes punchedm but I can't remember the site. I am sure it is expensive.
    Christine, Indiana

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I'm excited! My Skip Stitch blade came in the mail today. Now to remember where I stashed all that fleece that I got on sale a few years ago.

I saw some comments online that the other brands of this blade didn't work too well, so I went to the original website to order mine. It was a bit more expensive, but will be worth it if it works as well as it shows on the video.

I already have a rotary cutter and the mat, so I'm set to go. Now if I can just find all that fleece I hid from myself.........
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

13. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to know other people "put stuff in safe places". That's what I call it when I've hidden things from myself.

15. Likes buggainok, DinahRoberts liked this post