Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Boopie-Lefties Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Likes boopie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    Boopie-Lefties Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeppers, I may have said it here..... there's a saying that goes If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then left-handed people are always in the righ!
    ~Tammy~

Post Thanks / Like
    When I've used 2 strands held together I have several issues with it. One the dang twisting. I've tried putting one ball on one side and one on the other. I've ignored it as long as I could. At least the bags would leave less exposed to untwist.

But what about how it twists as you crochet? I want it to stay the same all the way through. And that automatic twisting it does as you maneuver the yarn drives me nuts! I finally went with it and did do a nice blanket for my son. It still looks good, just each stitch looks a little different colorwise.

I think winding 2 balls together would be good for the general twisting it does.

The other thing, I didn't notice it in the blanket I made, but I substituted 2 worsted weight for a bulky weight in a poncho. Whoa is it heavy!! It was a closed tight stitch, but the thing will weigh you down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boopie,
    It's worth it to learn the "chainless" foundation. It gives you more to hold onto. I also find the first couple rows the hardest, cause you have nothing to hold. Especially for blankets, it has a lot more give to it than a regular foundation row. try it.

And thanks for your chart.
    Crochet with Joy
    Joy Ann

6. Likes boopie, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Boopie,here's another one - Everyone is lefthanded until they commit their first sin.

8. Likes boopie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The separate baggies sound good. But seriously, do you let the part you're working twist, or do you keep it lined up? I like it lined up, but will force myself to just let it go.

PS I have an ambidextrious hubby, and one son, and my Grandfather was too. They write left, and throw right. No crocheting though.

Crochet with Joy
    Joy Ann

10. Likes Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joyannerose, I have just started a new afghan today using 2 strands. I like to put one ball on each side of me, I pull out a good amount of yarn from both balls so my tension will be the same. I honestly don't know how you could ever keep the strands from twisting as you crochet them, just the way the stitches are worked up twists them. I love the looks of the twisted together, it changes the look of the yarn from spot to spot.
    I have used bags on each ball when I am on the move with the project, but when I am home I use two plastic small (about 18 in. high) trash cans, this way they can roll around all they want and the height holds them in.

This is my second afghan using these two yarns together, one is Caron 1 Lb. 4 ply yarn and the other is the Sensations Rainbow Boucle yarn which gives a total different look to the yarn. It makes a heavy afghan for those of us who are cold natured. I like using some of these speciality yarns mixed in with the 4 ply to give a different look and feel.

Judi G

12. Likes Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut the bottom out of a 2 ltr soda bottle and bring the yarn up through the spout. I have also tried two small baskets, one for each color.
    I appreciate the yarn equiv also. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Judy. Lots of good ideas. I do have to do 2 afghans coming up, but I doubt I'll use 2 stands. Its hard on my hands to o. I'll save that for hit pad and pot holder s
    Joy ann

Post Thanks / Like
    okay, update with using two strands of yarn. I have to admit (and I have tried it twice with my Dad's lap blanket) that the brand Red Heart compares in NO way to Caron Simply Soft. I used both yarns twice and both times the Caron yarn wins out in softness and the ability to not twist. It's very minimal with Red Heart, but I found with Red Heart, that I had to take the yarn out of the baggie and untwist about every 20-30 stitches. Plus, I have to say the Caron yarn just went so much more quickly than Red Heart. In my opinion, Caron is better and if it costs a little bit more, it's darned well worth it.
    ~Tammy~