Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    okay, I am thinking that I remember reading of a way that I can make a 50 some wide object on a 14" inch hook. Just thought of it! That is what I am having a problem with, how to fit all those stitches on such a short hook. I myself am going to use a size "k" hook because the yarn that I will be using calls for a size "H" hook, so going up 3 sizes. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rosieh20 View Post
    Magnolia I haven't even started that shawl pattern and I already have a question!! Okay, I went to good ole Wally world, picked up a 14" afghan hook because I didn't have the size I needed...Well I got home and looked at the pattern and was wondering what I was even thinking that something that wide will even begin to fit on a 14" hook! DUH! Do I need to pick a "circular hook"? Do they made them that big?? Geeze! Good think I decided to start playing around with it LOL

And do they even make a circular hook in a size "K"?? That is if that is what I need
    That shawl pattern calls for an N hook and Hobby Lobby didn't have one so I bought a J & an L. Yes they make them in an N but you may have to order it.I like the flexable afghan hooks. They have a 'fishing line' or Cord on the opposite end of them and the shorter hook makes them feel more like a regular sized hook. Not crazy about the long straight one. My cord is 22". Hope that is long enough. They did not have a good selection. Had to 'settle' for the closest one I could get. Any way, let's just do the best we can and have fun with it.Surely someone we each know can wear the shawl if it does't fit us. Hugs, Lawana

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Magnolia! Okay will go out and find one. Know what you mean by the look hooks, I haven't used it and already don't care for it! Will find one on line and get it ordered! Thanks again!

4. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyi View Post
    I have played with the broomstick. I have a baby afghan my Mom made for my daughter with Broomstick. Also I would love to learn Hairpin Lace too. I have the loom and stuff but cant figure it out
    Hi Penny,
    I am finishing an afghan in Hairpin Lace. I did 36 squares, didn't use all the squares for the afghan. So far it's taken me about 2 and a half to 3 months. Hairpin Lace takes a long time. There is a video on you tube that a lady has about a Broomstick Lace without a broomstick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rosieh20 View Post
    I am in the process of learning the Tunisian stitch, also known as an Afghan stitch, and was wondering if anyone else would like to learn with me? I have been doing some playing around with it and found it fun! I like the close “knit” look of the finished project. When I played around with it I did find it was very easy stitch to learn; but if you do just the simple Tunisian stitch that it has a tendency to curl. A lot! So I started with the simple then every other roll I added a different stitch…Play mode  This is what I got and ended up with a cell phone holder!
    Attachment 2755Attachment 2756

When doing the Tunisian Stitch you are doing a chain of desired length then stitching and leaving the stitches on your needle, then coming back (without flipping anything) and pulling them off with a new row. It is said that you need a special needle (a long needle with a stopper at the end is one of them)for the Tunisian stitch, but not necessary if you are making smaller projects. As you see from the pic above I just used a regular crochet needle and wrapped an old ear bud cover off my headphones at the end (at least it stays there better than it did on my earphones!). This will help keep your stitches from sliding off the end of the needle.
    I found several resources on line and here are some of my favorites:
    Free e-book thru Kindle (downloaded on my PC):
    Tunisian Crochet: The Look of Knitting with the Ease of Crocheting: Sharon Hernes Silverman, David Bienkowski, Alan Wycheck: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
    Tunisian Crochet Stitches -- Free How-To Instructions and Tutorials
    Tunisian Crochet: Tunisian Crochet Stitch Instructions Index
    Welcome to Tunisian Crochet Week!
    And of course there are endless videos out there!!
    As for doing anything crocheting something special with the stitch? I say that we just do what we want. You can make a washcloth, make it a little longer, like I did, and make a case for something, or perhaps some wrist warmers by sewing the sides together and leaving a gap for the thumb holder. That is probably what I will do since I left my wrist warmers up at my moms . Just remember this stitch is a little different than regular crochet and won’t stretch as much! Have fun!
    Hi Rosie,
    I have found that the Tunisian stitch is more stretchy and so is the chainless foundation row.