Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: smells

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Bailey, it definitely has it's good points. But it messes up my taste buds. And I can't smell the good things either. Or have any of those scent related memories (scent of husband, babies, etc). Now I can tell a kind of freshness of say a just bathed baby. Or if something has a really, really strong scent, I get a quick sense of it. But I have no reference for what it is. Funny thing is, even though I can't smell it, some things will send me into an Ashtma attack. For instance, I could never go into the kids' "shop" class on back to school nights. I figure it's why I like extreme tastes too, salty, sweet, fishy (my kids always say, "If you could smell that, you wouldn't eat it". lol

Post Thanks / Like
    well, washing seems to do the trick.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyannerose View Post
    And I can't smell the good things either. Or have any of those scent related memories (scent of husband, babies, etc). Now I can tell a kind of freshness of say a just bathed baby. Or if something has a really, really strong scent, I get a quick sense of it. But I have no reference for what it is. l
    yes, I remember once I lost both senses for a few years.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad u got ur senses back. No pun intended

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyannerose View Post
    I'm glad u got ur senses back. No pun intended
    lol, actually, you talk to my husband and I have so sense, or sences.
    Bailey

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!! At my age you think I knew of th is . I only have lonelyness & sore bones? I know nothing about do's & donts on your situation. May your XMAS be
    joyful and peacefull MERRY CHRISTMAS Susan M J

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M J View Post
    WOW!! At my age you think I knew of th is . I only have lonelyness & sore bones? I know nothing about do's & donts on your situation. May your XMAS be
    joyful and peacefull MERRY CHRISTMAS Susan M J
    Susan, I'm so sorry, lonelyness and sore bones I think might be worse than a gas lighting [yeah like I don't know this] husband.

I don't observe Christmas in the traditional way, no decorating, but I do give gifts [it's my favorite hobby] and I do accept gifts.

But may your day be filled with however you observe Christmas and may you be blessed with many friends.

Oh, and I'll soon be 65, I have heard of sore bones, some of mine like to pretend that it's ok to be sore, but we know different, right?
    Last edited by bailey36; 12-20-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: forgot
    Bailey

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, those joints that predict the weather..........
    I put some yarn into loose hanks by winding the balled yarn around the legs of a chair and washed it because it had been stored a long time and smelled musty.
    Tied a piece of yarn around the newly-rewound skein in spots to keep it from tangling and washed it [with a vinegar rinse] in a large sweater bag.
    I hope it works for you.
    Folks say I've got a nose like a hound. I smell stuff before others do; but there are some smells that I miss altogether. I think my "smeller" is getting old!
    Last edited by Dsynr; 12-21-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsynr View Post
    Oh, those joints that predict the weather..........
    I put some yarn into loose hanks by winding the balled yarn around the legs of a chair and washed it because it had been stored a long time and smelled musty.
    Tied a piece of yarn around the newly-rewound skein in spots to keep it from tangling and washed it [with a vinegar rinse] in a large sweater bag.
    I hope it works for you.
    Folks say I've got a nose like a hound. I smell stuff before others do; but there are some smells that I miss altogether. I think my "smeller" is getting old!
    so, you wash first, that sounds like a better idea than enduring the smell while you are crocheting and just hoping the smell will go away after it's a finished product.
    Bailey

Post Thanks / Like
    For really strong smells, I wash in clear water first, add baking powder to the rinse water, re-wash with detergent, then add vinegar to that rinse water. Seems to get out almost every bad odor. Had a freezer sit 2 weeks unplugged with meat in it during the summer one time and learned from that.