Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  39
Page 6 of 10 First ... 45678 ... Last

Thread: January CAL

Post Thanks / Like
    What finally made me "get" it was when someone explained that: the second time you yarn over and instead of finishing stitch you only pull through 1 loop, you are making the "chain" stitch. then you complete the stitch. And no matter how comfortable you get with it, holding onto that chain so you know where to put the hook in for the next stitch, makes it very easy. No guessing. You always insert the hook in the "chain" space.

this is the info that I need to give that foundation chain a try again. I tried it once with sc and made a mess. This thread is fun and a treasure trove of info I have had lots of laughs reading all the posts oh it doesn't say that I was responding to Joy's post on page two who stated the important info above

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a long term project (a yo-yo afgan which requires hundreds of small yo-yo motifs, currenty I have a little over a hundred yo-yo's made) that I use small amounts of yarn for, and if there isnt enoug for that, I have a ball of yarn which is jst pieces of yarn 6" or more knotted together - that I use when making toys. my personal version of varigated yarn.

3. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Twinfaye! What do you mean 9 for 3 colors or 8-10 for 2 colors

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do we have to use the foundation chain? I appologize i have to make sure it is right cuz i'm kinda a perfectionist at times when it comes to my work, painting, molding crocheting or whatever i am doin.

Post Thanks / Like
    No you don't Amanda, I think that was coming from me because I was just learning how to do that stitch (or whatever ) And I was on a rant at the time. I did do mine with the chainless foundation which was a trial since I had to experiment with the space. But if I were you I would just do whatever you are comfortable with. I experimented because I started mine a month ago and was in that mode :P And I think this would be a GREAT stash buster, I've seen some beautiful ripples out there multicolored!! I myself am using 3 colors and going by what Twinfaye recommended, but I decided that when I am done with the yarn I have I will be done with the afghan since I always overbuy to be sure to have enough and didn't like my combination when it came in the mail. The main thing to remember is that usually color "A" will start the afghan and will end the afghan, so you will need more of that. That is where I ran into problems. That is the beauty of this CAL. You can make it as big or small as you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question how many rows of each color before we switch?1 row then switch 2 rows 3 or does it matter if you do 2 of 1 then 1 of another then 3 of another orsometin like that but in same sequence?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am debating on doing this, anybody got an idea of aprox. how much time involved in doing this? I am confused on the yarn count too. I usually start a project and stay on that but I am going to be doing some charity pieces too, so I guess I could switch off and go back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ladies, you are making this too hard. You can have as many colors as you want and you can make it 3 rows and change or six inchs and change. There is no rule on here about what size the rows are. I like the 6 inch for each color so that is what I did. If you know me you know that I hate tails so I'll do anything to not have to change colors often. The number of skeins is a suggestion only. If I had wanted to make it larger I would have just used all my yarn. I think if you have bought the yarn you might as well use it and make it as large as you want. So use my "suggestions" as that and do what you want. Landon if you are going to sit down and do just this it will probably take a week around your schedule. If you have more than one thing going then it will take longer. Ok, everybody have fun!!!

11. Likes rosieh20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Faye! That is what I like about this project, it really does offer you to use your imagination! This is the first ripple I have done and find it really easy to do. Just count count count...9,3,9 skip 2, over and over. Really easy to pick up and get into the groove of it. I like doing it in the evenings because I can listen to TV and Jim and not worry about where I am. (once I got my first few rows done anyway . I myself started doing 8 row colors, didn't like it but decided that it was my first and I was going to use it so didn't frog out 10 rows. So I switch to 4 rows of one color and then 6 rows of my next. Almost wish that I used a third color, but that will be another day! Landon this won't take you much time at all. Even if you can show that you have a good start and didn't finish it by the end of the month I believe it will go towards the Jan contest. Just the chaining and getting the first few rows will take a little time, after that you will find working on it very relaxing and will make a nice break from something. I enjoy picking it up when I find I have a few minutes because it is easy to do. Enjoy and have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like
    PJsmama, sometimes you didn't get the right color and don' have enough to keep that and buy more. In my case at Wal- mart some kids went through most of their yarns with scissors and cut a pound of yarn all up to half inch pieces, I didn't feel paying regular price for yarn that was destroyed I just replaced it. I'm sorry if I said something wrong before or you were just postin that for fun I am sorry.