Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Buttons

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use the same yarn I used to crochet the item. If the buttonholes are too small for the yarn, I do the same as Irishjl and split the yarn. I also make a yarn shank for the buttons as I am sewing them on....it's something my mom taught me to do and, even though she is now deceased, I wouldn't think of sewing on any button and not doing that. When I taught my 4-H girls to sew, I showed them how to make a shank....I think the buttons are more secure that way and have less of a tendency to fall off.
    http://tinypic.com/k3rq4z.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Armybrat, you can't stop there!!! Give us a lesson!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all of you! I too have split the yarn I used on the sweater and I think I will do that! I bought clear buttons for it and now I'm wondering "what was I thinking"!!! I will post a picture when I'm done!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the same method of splitting the yarn. In case the button holes are too small, I use a needle threader and a regular needle and so far this works fine.
    Last edited by DIANA 1946; 09-29-2012 at 07:31 AM.

5. Likes libertylady64 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    what is a shank and how do you make them? I like the idea of splitting yarn that is thick.

Post Thanks / Like
    The shank on a button is that little closed hoop on the reverse side of the button that you pass the thread through to attach the button to the article of clothing that you are using. I am hoping that Armybrat will explain how she uses it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use the same yarn I used to crochet/knit the cardigan. It will look great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link that explains it better than I could: How to put a shank on a flat button | Gail Patrice Design
    http://tinypic.com/k3rq4z.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    armybrat, I have sewed clothes since I was 12 and no one had explained how to do that! I wonder how many things I don't know. I have never taken a class but I think I will go online to see what techniques I can learn.I might make myself something. Thanks