Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    As difficult as the skeins sometimes are, I don't think you would regret having both of those tools. As a matter of fact, I'm working with a skein right now that makes me think I'll just cut it and put the rest of it in a ball. I hope you have great success with your new crochet tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi twinfaye
    I have a hand yarn winder and I also love mine, although I don't use it myself much now. It comes with its own cone. You just attach the yarn to the cone (it has a grove that you slip the yarn in) and you wind away to your heart's content, and when you're done you unhook and hold the yarn end that you attached to the cone, pull the ball off the cone and because it is wound up so smoothly, no knots. Use that end to crochet and you're set to go.

Now I have no idea how much they cost as I've had mine for over 30 years now.
    The shape looks like the shape of crochet cotton that you find in the stores.
    Hope this helps.
    Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to you all!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Twinfaye

Have a look at these that I found on the internet. The $20.00 one resembles mine. Diane

Knitting Ball winders and yarn swifts from KnitPicks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Grief! I have the Royal Ball Winder and I paid $35 for it on sale. It works like a charm, never a problem, never used a swift, wound every type of yarn imagineable. All I use to control my skein while winding it up is one of those plastic containers from Joanne's with a hole in the top for transporting your crochet/knit projects. You can also use it once your yarn is all wound for the same purpose. You might check the Knitting Warehouse too. You can't go wrong with a ball winder. It's one of the best investments I've ever made. $60 seems expensive to me. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    By now you probably have seen all kinds of different models but try You tube and you will see all kinds demos on how to use them. I personally would think that a hand one is better than an electric one because of the knot issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    here is a link to one like I use....

Amazon.com: compact 4 oz wool / yarn ball winder TH700: Home & Kitchen

but if you just google "yarn ball winders", you will several different ones...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very pleased that your found my little essay of help to you! Once you get used to using these two tools, I then believe that it needs to be used with all of the yarn in my stash; that could take years! ;-) Using the yarn that has been wound into one of these little cakes couldn't be easier; you can take the yarn from the middle or the outside, it's completely up to you. It helps to corral the yarn cake in a bowl or some type of container so it doesn't go rolling off across the middle of the room. Then you're in a race with the cats or the dogs to see who gets to play with it next!!

I bought my hand winder and a metal/plastic swift from a company in China through eBay. I think I paid about $40 for the pair. eBay has some incredible buys.
    Last edited by Sassynana; 08-30-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Add purchase of items

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an extra Toyota ball winder (same as the car company!) that was going to be put up at a garage sale but you are welcome to have it if there's a way I can get it to you ... can crochet talk give any advise on this? (The yarn winder has a clamp to attach it to a table edge. The yarn winds onto a cone that is part of the winder. You hand turn a crank that spins the cone and pulls the yarn through a tension arm, onto the cone, When you have finished winding, just slip off the yarn cupcake - it's really not a ball shape at all. Your cupcake will have a center pull strand and it takes about 30-60 seconds maybe to wind a tangle-free yarn cake.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually try to get both ends out and secured before I start using a new skein or ball of yarn or thread. It's sometimes very stressful just finding those two ends. I often bring out a huge "clump" all at once and then just struggle along using up that yarn before getting to the part where the yarn comes out easily - - so frustrating - - there has to be a better way for the manufactures to package our yarn.