Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetgal, it is a good idea to write the manufacturers...I've written complaints about Simply Soft Yarn to them, including the pieces I've had to cut out...it hasn't solved the problems I've experienced with their yarn, but they did send me 3 (3oz ) skeins for my trouble....all of which had the "thick and thin" spots in the yarn too.Another lesson for "me" in learning to work with the imperfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    AuntyD if you don't get satisfaction from the manufacturer, then call the customer service department! Believe me, when it comes to yarns the companies do listen.

Caron's simply soft is wonderful to work with but its managed to get a 'reputation' of sorts for having some huge slubs in it because of poor quality control. As a distributor for Coats & Clark I've sent many balls back to the office on a customer's behalf and requested a replacement.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks crochetgal, I will do that....should have thought of that,probably another one of mt "brain f*rts". LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very limited in my yarn choices. I buy Red Heart products almost exclusively. I know other brands have some beautiful textures and colors but I always know what to expect with Red Heart so by and large, I stick with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to always buy the 450 gram balls at Walmart. Remember when they were $5.00 or so. Now it is $9.00 IF they have anything. Hope source improves soon - Stash is dwindling, and that won't do. No joke!

Post Thanks / Like
    hi grammajoe, at my walmart they just layed out the yarn area with more shelves and new brands of yarn. they also had a huge clearance off on yarns i got red heart for $1.00 a skein the color was country rose--of course i got all of them lol. and the huge skeins of red heart for $3.00 in pretty n pink!!! so visit your walmart ---they might have some good stash deals for you. happy crocheting!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammaJoe View Post
    Used to always buy the 450 gram balls at Walmart. Remember when they were $5.00 or so. Now it is $9.00 IF they have anything. Hope source improves soon - Stash is dwindling, and that won't do. No joke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you were able to grab the Country Rose when you did Libertylady64. That colour was discontinued this year so they were probably clearing out the stock.

Every now and then I'll put the Red Heart yarns on sale in the shop but there aren't that many who really are looking for a good bargain any more it seems. Most people will pay full price though.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks libertylady for words of encouragement. Checked Walmart yesterday - no changes yet. Very limited supply and nothing on clearance. Will keep fingers crossed.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to go to Walmart tomorrow and will definitely check for clearance items. We have a special clearance section in our Walmart. I'll have to check there as well as in the yarn department. They may move it over there. Seems I've seen other yarn in that aisle from time to time. Thanks for the heads up! Just in time for my trip to town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ooh-lalah View Post
    Caron’s Simply Soft is a beautiful yarn for many projects. It was not working out well for the spider web design stitch I’m working on. This yarn tends to split a lot anyhow, and in my project it looked like a lot of snags had taken place. Decided to abandon the spider web using Simply Soft. Went to Hobby Lobby and got some “I Love This Yarn” sportweight. Red Heart sportweight is very similar. This yarn responds as if it had a life of its own…very springy and just glides through my fingers…and no splitting!
    As dedicated artisans we’ve all done more than a fair share of rippits, or projects that go in the “I’ll never finish this!” category :-D

Even though the sport weight is thinner, and requires more rows to create length, my sweater is going a lot smoother and faster.

What’s your take?

I do not like it for crocheting. At Christmas I was visiting my son and his family in Baton Rouge and purchased some from Hobby Lobby (love shopping there when I am in BTR.) to crochet a scarf for my GD. It was the most frustrating project - not the pattern - the yarn kept splitting and it had no body. Granted it is soft, but not for crocheting. I would not use it again - maybe it is much better suited to knitting, where the stitches are closer, or crocheting where there are no lace stitches.