Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    try to introduce her to single crochet and say this would make an awsome bracelet or a necklace!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdoll View Post
    I've been working with my granddaughter. So far, she is only making chains so she is always making everyone necklaces and bracelets!

Post Thanks / Like
    Start with a bigger yarn, worsted in acrylic. And a bigger hook, I usually use a size G for this size yarn so why not start with H or I just so she'll loosen up. The tension does not matter until you've gotten the hang of the stitches. Good luck.
    Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Jeremy View Post
    I am trying to teach my 9 year old neighbor to crochet. She is so tense! She somehow twists her chain and it is so tight she can't go on. Any advise?
    I am teaching five 3, 4, 5th grade chidlren, 4 boys, l girl. I tell them to relax their arms and shoulders. The chain loop....I have them slide it back on the hook and tell them to not pull the yarn to make it tight close to the hook end. This is after school in a tutoring program and the guys are not into competing on the gym floor. They have done that during the day and ready to relax a bit. I started yesterday and most of them have caught on to the chain and now 3 are crocheting the second row. Relax is the biggest hurdle when they begin.

Post Thanks / Like
    School will be out soon and I will work with Dara on following a pattern. She has a newborn cousin she can make something for. I am excited to see how she does.

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned to knit when I was about 16. I tried to crochet but was always confused about where to insert the hook-- I gave up for a few years. When I could finally insert the hook in the right place, I never knit another stitch in my life. I have been crocheting for over 40 years and still love it. But I am sure I couldn't have done it when I was 8 or 9. Still, finger crocheting and large hook are both good ideas. Sometimes it is a matter of the fingers maturing, and everybody's fingers are on a different schedule.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started knitting when I was 5. Taught myself (out of a book) to crochet at 14. I still do both, you can do completely different things with each. I don't think I could give up either. 49 years knitting. Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lynmarie View Post
    Wow I'm also trying to teach an 8 year old and it's hard. She is still pretty much just making chains, but she is getting pretty good at it so we are about to move on. I was thinking that I'd start her on just making small squares, then let her move up in size as we go.
    I think that it's also important to make sure that you have them always insert the hook into the same placeon the chain, for instance I find it easier to insert my hook thru the back loop of the chain and it's always a much neater edge, just something you may like to try.

Looking forward to ready more responses for people that may help me when we move on,
    Lyn
    I like to teach a chain 20-25 stitches on a G hook. Crochet about 10 inches long. Practice changing colors. If the crocheter isn't at that point I start the new color for them. One color gets boring for kids learning. When done, we fold it in half, sew up the sides and run a drawstring thru the top row. Viola! a pouch for lots of little treasures. I also teach a double crochet row at the top, after sewing sides. That makes a good row to string a drawstring.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'd go with a larger hook that's how all my students start

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to teach my grandson when he was 7, he has no patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Idea! I will work with her when school gets out. I am going to have her follow a pattern. She has to learn more than chain and single crochet. Next on to knitting for her