Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

What's going on...

Lately I have put aside my Christmas afghan but just for a while. I made a scarf and hat for my niece and I am working on a shrug for myself. I'll post a pic of the shrug when it's done.

2. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've been a busy girl! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of your shrug when you've finished it.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    You've been a busy girl! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of your shrug when you've finished it.

Shelley
    Shelley, the shrug is almost done. It is light brown and dark cream colored. All I need to do is crochet a border in a brown ombre around the arm holes and the edge. I am going to all a big button or crochet a tie for it. Did a lot of work on it last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    That really sounds Pretty, I love the Earth tone Colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    That really sounds Pretty, I love the Earth tone Colors.
    Thanks MeerKat. I will post a picture here when it's done. It will be a couple of days most likely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Babs1213 View Post
    Shelley, the shrug is almost done. It is light brown and dark cream colored. All I need to do is crochet a border in a brown ombre around the arm holes and the edge. I am going to all a big button or crochet a tie for it. Did a lot of work on it last night.
    Babs, have you ever tried to make cording for ties? I do it all the time because cording doesn't stretch like a crocheted tie and cording is smoother. Here's how - Take a piece of yarn 7x the length of the tie you want. Fold it in half and anchor the tied end (hubby works great for this). Then, keeping the yarn taut, start twisting and Twisting and TWISTING some more. Twist until you think the circulation is cut off in the finger doing the twisting. Then, while keeping the twisted yarn taut, fold it in half by giving your end to hubby while you hold it taut in the middle. While holding the middle, twist in the other direction. Tie the 2 loose ends (both now being held by hubby) together. You now have cording. If you need to make it shorter, tie a knot first so it doesn't unravel. Sometimes I make cording so long, like for a sweater with several ties, I'll put a screw eye in a basement rafter for my anchor point. Then I put another screw eye in the chuck of my drill, hook the ends of the yarn onto the 2 screw eyes and let 'er rip! When it's tight enough I take the twisted yarn out of the drill screw eye (hold it tight!) and drape the screw eye in the drill to the twisted yarn and let the weight of the drill fall to the middle keeping everything taut while I walk one end to the other, hook it onto the rafter and then untwist from the middle.

Sometimes I twist one color in my right hand and another color in my left. When my fingers start to turn blue I transfer the left yarn to the right and untwist them together for a 2 color cord.

To attach it to the garment I use a crochet hook, opening the cording enough to get my hook through it then attach it as I would attach fringe. I leave the cut ends about 1" long, unravel the ends and call them mini tassels.

Try it. I'm sure you've got a hunk of yarn about 18" long. Experiment with it and let me know what you think.