Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

skip 5, 5dc groups...What does this mean?

i've found a newborn coat and hat pattern on 'Just Crochet' and am stumped by the instructions to skip5, 5dc groups. below is the complete instructions for the row...if someone could please explain this to me, i'd be so grateful...my brain just doesn't always comprehend things correctly...lol

Next row - (Divide for armholes) ch3, * 5dc in next dc, skip 2dc, 1dc in next dc, skip 2dc, * rpt from * to * 2 times, skip 2dc, 3dc in next dc, skip 5, 5dc groups,
    2dc in next dc, skip 2dc, 1dc in next dc, skip 2dc, rpt from * to * 7 times, skip 2dc, 2dc in next dc, skip 5, 5dc groups, 3dc in next dc, skip 2dc, 1dc in next dc, skip 2dc, rpt from * to * 3 times, skip 2dc, 1dc in top of ch3. Turn.
    (15, 5dc groups including groups underarms).

if you go to the website, it's a yellow with brown trim coat/sweater and yellow hat. the picture is under free patterns...

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheri, Hello Im susan2014 and Im sorry I cant help you But am going to go look as Im interested in that question.? I have never done a sweater, sleeves. I could guess but lets give the experts time. I know a few on a Group that could help??
    Kim Guzman she is a designer and so nice, if she can she'd know Im sure. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.

4. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan2014 View Post
    Cheri, Hello Im susan2014 and Im sorry I cant help you But am going to go look as Im interested in that question.? I have never done a sweater, sleeves. I could guess but lets give the experts time. I know a few on a Group that could help??
    Kim Guzman she is a designer and so nice, if she can she'd know Im sure. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.
    thanks Susan, i sure appreciate the possible help. lol i have never seen that in a direction either, although i'm not that experienced. Merry Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cheri54 View Post
    i've found a newborn coat and hat pattern on 'Just Crochet' and am stumped by the instructions to skip5, 5dc groups. below is the complete instructions for the row...if someone could please explain this to me, i'd be so grateful...my brain just doesn't always comprehend things correctly...lol

Next row - (Divide for armholes) ch3, * 5dc in next dc, skip 2dc, 1dc in next dc, skip 2dc, * rpt from * to * 2 times, skip 2dc, 3dc in next dc, skip 5, 5dc groups,
    2dc in next dc, skip 2dc, 1dc in next dc, skip 2dc, rpt from * to * 7 times, skip 2dc, 2dc in next dc, skip 5, 5dc groups, 3dc in next dc, skip 2dc, 1dc in next dc, skip 2dc, rpt from * to * 3 times, skip 2dc, 1dc in top of ch3. Turn.

if you go to the website, it's a yellow with brown trim coat/sweater and yellow hat. the picture is under free patterns...
    What I believe it means is.... basically pretend you are going to crochet the next 5 repeat clusters of stitches or "groups" but instead skip them. That leaves an opening for armhole. Hope that helps! Happy hooking!

7. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it means to skip the first 5 DC in a group in your previous row?

Shelley

9. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Without reading the full instructions, I'd say it means basically to skip a total of 25 dc. You have "fans" in your previous row consisting of 5 dc each? That would mean a "fan" of 5 dc would be skipped, in this case, 5 times. So you are making armholes, it sounds like. I would need to see the previous row's instructions to be certain of this though.

11. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay here...
    In the "Commence Skirt" row, you have your ch 3, then you skip 1 dc, then you make your first group of 5 dc into the next dc. Then you skip another dc, and make 1 dc in the next dc, then you skip a dc, and make another group of 5 dc.... so in the "Next row" you will want to skip 5 of these groups of 5 dc. Does that make sense? At the end of the "Commence Skirt" it says that there will be a total of 25 groups of 5 dc {or 25, 5 dc groups as it says}.... so in the "Next row" you will skip 5 groups of 5 dc, or {5, 5 dc groups}
    You'll end up skipping more than a total of 25 dc, because in the "Commence Skirt" row there are 1 dc sections in between the 5dc groups.

Commence Skirt - ch3, * skip 1dc, 5dc in next dc, skip 1dc, 1dc in next dc * rpt from * to * to last 4dc and ch3, skip 1dc, 5dc in next dc, skip 1dc, 1dc in next dc, 1dc in top of ch3. Turn. (25, 5dc groups)

13. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!!! thanks for deciphering this for me...but this seems way out of my ability...lol not that i couldn't do the stitches, only that i have a 'crs' problem...(can't remember sh*t), i have trouble remembering simple patterns such as '2dc in next st, dc in next 3 st'...i lose my place...lol
    but i so appreciate all the help, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you everyone for trying to help. i think i'll have to pass on this, at least for now. maybe when i get to my second childhood my memory will return...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I have trouble finding where I am in a pattern too . I use a post it to mark off where I am , put it over the part I did already. And move it as I go along, each time I check the pattern to see what I do next. The post it notes with super sticky will last thru the whole pattern. I used to mark it off with a pencil.
    Last edited by Kitty; 12-19-2014 at 10:52 AM.

17. Likes cheri54 liked this post