Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 5 of 11 First ... 34567 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to make my colorful afghans in one piece. That is why I like the ripple so much---colorful and no seams to put together afterward. I take one to work on the commuter bus to knit or crochet on that long ride. It's too heavy to carry around when it gets about half-finished, so it stays home and I either start another or a smaller on-the-go project. I'm re-learning crochet so I have to do a lot of frogging, but I want my project to look finished and professional. It will be in my livingroom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beatrice1953, you sound much like me in your crochet preferences. I too like to make afghans I can just glance at and keep the pattern going while watching TV, or having a conversation with someone. That is what is relaxing to me, and there is something about the rhythm of the the DC stitch that is also soothing to me. I have done much more complicated patterns over the years, and they were fun to do, but take up more of my attention to keep them on track.

I am thinking of making a round afghan in the near future of some kind. I haven't done one of them yet. Crocheting in the round does go quickly.

Happy Stitching,
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice1953 View Post
    In the past 40 years I've made many many afghans. Right now my fav stitch is the ripple stitch using double crochet and it's wavy. My fav used to be the basket weave stitch. It's great for cold weather, tight stitch to keep you warm. It's all double crochet and it goes fast and not much brain work to do it, so I can watch the Detroit Tigers on TV while working on my project. Crocheting seems to calm me and works well when I'm stressed. Great therapy!! I did a granny square afghan for my Mom a few years back, but she passed before I could give it to her. So now it sits on my couch about 2 or 3 months a year and I smile when I see it thinking of my Mom. Then I took the scraps from that one and made an afghan using the basket weave pattern but changing on each row instead of 10 or 15 rows. It turned out beautiful and different.!! One day soon pictures...I promise!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tas View Post
    I'll get back to you ASAP, have an overseas visitor arriving tomorrow, need to do a big tidy!!
    here you are

Afghans - What Is Your Favorite Type?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice1953 View Post
    In the past 40 years I've made many many afghans. Right now my fav stitch is the ripple stitch using double crochet and it's wavy. My fav used to be the basket weave stitch. It's great for cold weather, tight stitch to keep you warm. It's all double crochet and it goes fast and not much brain work to do it, so I can watch the Detroit Tigers on TV while working on my project. Crocheting seems to calm me and works well when I'm stressed. Great therapy!! I did a granny square afghan for my Mom a few years back, but she passed before I could give it to her. So now it sits on my couch about 2 or 3 months a year and I smile when I see it thinking of my Mom. Then I took the scraps from that one and made an afghan using the basket weave pattern but changing on each row instead of 10 or 15 rows. It turned out beautiful and different.!! One day soon pictures...I promise!!
    Hi beatrice, I liked the sound of your basketweave pattern changing every row, so am just starting one in 8 ply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tas! I'm glad someone else has that much patience with changing every row. I also changed colors every 3 or 4 rows. The more I did this pattern in this way made me want to do more. But I stopped at one afghan.. I made it while in a nursing home sick. Some of the aids brought me yarn to complete it. So it has lots of memories for me. WOW! You're all the way in Austrialia! That is so cool! I just bet it's beautiful there. Is it winter there now? It's been pretty hot here of late in the 90s. Thanks for writing! Hope to see picc of the one you're making. I'll be putting up pics by next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beatrice,
    looking forward to your Pics. I ripped back the basketweave as It became obvious I do not have enough yarn for the size I wanted, but will be doing one as it looked lovely.
    did you ever get a reply on the double sided afghan as it sounds intriguing.
    Yes winter here, but not too bad where I live

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi tas! No one has replied yet regarding the 2 sided afghan. I hope someone does real soon! Take care mate!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished my seed stitch with HD rows.....no name on this one, just one I did. It turned out nice in 2 colors of sage green with buff. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite afghans to make.

I found nearly 3 skeins of Dark Amethyst in my stash, I know I can get more of it so I started another wave stitch tonight. I must admit I can't sit and watch TV any more without working on something. I did pick up some yarn today for a hat and scarf set I will work on later.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    So Judi, is that one row seed sttich and one row HD? Your deed stitch sounds like it might give some texture to some thinner yarn that I have stowed away

Post Thanks / Like
    Tas, I finally have the pattern I was looking for. Check out my post and the answer from Barbara. It's the very last suggestion she gave me. It has a picture and everything. I just love it!! Check with you again eh Mate?!!