Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help. Questions regarding how to count multiples for patterns

Hi from Olathe kansas
    I am a bit confused. I understand how to do the various crochet stitches, but I am having difficulties with the count. Example: if a pattern says it is worked in multiples of 18 sts + 2 + 1 for base chain , does that mean to co 20 +20+20+ 1 or how exactly is it read?
    I would be forever greatful to anyone that could help me. I am use to the patterns you use to get from the dime store where the pattern was already worked out. Since my daughter introduced me to the Internet, I find myself struggling a bit. But it is a welcome struggle r/ t the variety of information on my two favorite topics which are crochet and knitting. 😊. And now I wait in anticipation for the answer to my question. Lol

2. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad you asked that question even though I reviewed it on the Internet - still is difficult for me also. I am excited to find out what you find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 18 refers to the number of stitches in one pattern. So, if a pattern repeats 10 times, you do this for the chain count: (18x10) +2 +1. That would be 183 chains. Hope this helps.

5. Likes AuntieAlice liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the answer Aporfirio. That was a huge help. May all your dreams and happiness come true for the help given. again thanks for your help.

7. Likes aporfirio liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla584167 View Post
    Hi from Olathe kansas
    I am a bit confused. I understand how to do the various crochet stitches, but I am having difficulties with the count. Example: if a pattern says it is worked in multiples of 18 sts + 2 + 1 for base chain , does that mean to co 20 +20+20+ 1 or how exactly is it read?
    I would be forever greatful to anyone that could help me. I am use to the patterns you use to get from the dime store where the pattern was already worked out. Since my daughter introduced me to the Internet, I find myself struggling a bit. But it is a welcome struggle r/ t the variety of information on my two favorite topics which are crochet and knitting. 😊. And now I wait in anticipation for the answer to my question. Lol
    Here's another way to put it. Let's say I'm making a sweater. Sweaters usually start from the bottom and work up so I want my base chain to fit around my 36" hips (in my dreams!). My base chain would be worked in multiples of 18 (i.e., 36, 54, 72 etc.) until my chain measures 36". Then I would add 2 + 1 more chains. Turn and follow the directions for row 1 of the pattern.

A word of caution, my base chain always shrinks so I would add another 18 chains before adding the 2 + 1. After the 3rd or 4th row I would see if it fit around my hips. If not, rip it out and either add or subtract in multiples of 18 to the new base chain.

Good luck and have fun.

9. Thanks Poinciana thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Multiples are as follows:
    If a pattern says it is a multiple of 10 + 2, then you would chain a multiple of 10, so we'll say 5 multiples of 10, which would equal 50, then add 2, so your beginning chain would be 52.
    For the above example, with 5 multiples of the 10+2, it would NOT equal 12x5=60, where your beginning chain would be 60. You don't chain 10, add 2, chain 10, add 2 for the beginning chain for whatever length.

A few more examples of how to chain multiples correctly....
    A multiple of 6+8, with 20 multiples of length, would be 20x6=120, then 120+8=128, so your beginning chain would be 128.
    A multiple of 18+2, with 5 multiples of length, would be 18x5=90, then 90+2=92, so your beginning chain would be 92.
    A multiple of 3+5, with 42 multiples of length, would be 3x42=126, then 126+5=131, so your beginning chain would be 131.

Basically, when you are making your chain, a multiple of 10+4, for example, just count in 10s until you get the length/width you want, then add the 4 chains when you're done for the beginning chain.
    Hope this helps!

11. Thanks Poinciana thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

To all friendly people who answered questions about how to count multiples+ #

Hi from Olathe, Kansas:
    To all the kind people out there that answered my question on how to calculate the number of sts per the directions indicated in the pattern: (example- multiple of 10sts + 2+1 for the base ch) I thank you. All of the answers were exceptionally helpful. I can't thank you enough. I wish you the best of days and God Bless. This blog has some very nice and knowledgeable people. Again thanks to all you wonderful people.

13. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so glad you found out what you needed to know. I'm not trying to make things more complicated but I learned how to crochet without a chain and I really like it. It is so much easier if you have to crochet a specific size (like the sweater) you don't have to crochet 4 or 5 rows to figure it out.

15. Likes Jheri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, ms.dale I would like to know how to crochet without a chain. Can you share this with us? I am sure there are many of us who also want to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me see if I can find a video that shows how to do it and I will get back to you. That is the way I do almost all my projects now, I really like it.