Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Making hot pads

Post Thanks / Like

Making hot pads

Hiya fellow crochet folks I have seen several hot pad designs and I thought it would be a nice gift for Mother's Day. My concern is that the yarn will melt! Is there a special type of yarn to use? I want it to be really nice and not have my Mothers fingers burned! Thank you for any and all help and info.

Loving someone is accepting them for everything they are, and everything they are not.

2. Likes amanda, Carolyn50, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning rachelle----do you mean pot holders or mats to lay hot dishes on?for the mats you could use rug yarn--just a thought. Bettybee

4. Likes amanda, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Lily Sugar and Cream, its a heavier cotton yarn for pot holders and hot pads. There are 100's of beautiful patterns on the internet. I can't find rug yarn anymore, I wished I could. Many years ago my s-i-l taught me how to make the loop stitch rug, I made a huge one . Now all these years later I want to make another one but can't find the yarn. Anyway Sugar and Cream is the way to go. Hope this helps. Carol

6. Likes amanda, Poinciana liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 100% cotton such as Lily Sugar and Cream. I learned years ago that acrylic yarns do melt if the pan is hot enough. Cotton doesn't but it will burn or scorch if you're careless. The cotton is usually very inexpensive, too... a real bonus when I'm making tons of them for gifts at holidays.

8. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, use cotton yarn if you are going to put hot items on it. Aunt Lydia's rug yarn is no more, I have a few skeins buried in the basement from yarn given to me years ago and sometimes I find it at Goodwill, but that is rare. It seems like the tried and true yarns that everyone likes is always discontinued.

Anyway, have fun and I know your mom will love the hot pads.

Roe

10. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    100% cotton only. No cotton blends, no synthetics. Have fun.

12. Likes Poinciana, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Always wondered what to use. Good question

14. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the cotton yarn for trivets and pot mitts-the "cones" of it are available at my Walmart for much less than buying the smaller skeins.

16. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You can stlll get rug yarn on ebay---i have made my swifter covers with it and it doesnt stretch out like a acrylic

18. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi---my first post-- Peaches n Cream or Lily Sugar n Cream cotton yarn are ideal for potholders and there is a lot of colors..

20. Likes amanda liked this post