Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will love it Marjorie. Those potholders can become a community crochet project for fund raisers when a bunch of people get together and make an assembly line out of it. There are so many kinds of threads and yarns that make the prettiest patterns. They last and last forever.

2. Likes MarjorieCrochets liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the idea, Jaxwoman! I am like you, I don't own a store bought potholder. My daughter sews, and made me the prettiest potholders, plus I have the ones I crochet. I make potholders and dishcloths to match, too. They work, and wash, a lot better than anything else!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaxwoman,
    A big WELCOME to you. I started here about a week ago, so I'm a newbie too. We will learn the ropes together. I crochet...my g'ma taught me as a child.
    Let's have some FUN!
    Also, as for mistakes.... . smile

5. Likes MarjorieCrochets liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jaxwoman! Hi Beniann! Welcome to the group!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxwoman View Post
    Thank you all for the nice welcome. I shall post some pics of some of the things I have done when I get the hang of posting in here. I just recently made some potholders out of washcloths. The old ones I made decades ago were starting to get holes in them so they had to go. I have never bought a potholder in my life. My mother taught me how to make them. I made two sets in less than a day. These new ones will last me for another 20 years. If anyone does freehand crochet they are very easy to make. I fold the wash cloth into 4's and baste around the inside with number 10 crochet thread and a big needle. I then use yarn and a crochet hook size 5 or F and an ice pick. As I go around and make the holes to put my needle through, I just single crochet all the way around. After that I just do a couple of singles inside each stitch and a few more around the corners and then a shell stitch to finish it off. Sometimes I make a bigger border depending on the size of the wash cloth. They wash nicely as well.
    Thank you for sharing this idea! My grandmother always crocheted around the edge of washcloths, just a row of SC around, and a simple chain loopy border, and gave them to us at Christmas. I have followed the tradition and done this also. But I've never thought to make potholders. Can't wait to make some.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I was taught by my mother from the time I could pick up a crochet needle. She made doilies and dolls dresses out of yarn and thread. Her work was neat and she took great care to cook her starch and shape her work. Sometimes her hands would bleed from putting pins in her work to stretch her doilies. She had a plywood board that stayed behind the refrigerator until she needed it for a doily. Unfortunately I lost her when I was 17. I still feel like she has only been gone a day or two. I learned to cook from her and got the crafting bug when I was very young from her.

9. Likes MarjorieCrochets liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome To Crochet Talk!