Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  50
Page 8 of 17 First ... 678910 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janine,
    I make a lot of afghans and I always use Red Heart for them. They soften up nicely after finished just by putting them in the dryer with 2 or 3 dryer sheets. I like the Red Heart because it is easy to find and more affordable then many of the other yarns.What stitch are you planning on using for your boyfriends afghan? I just started making one today using the wavy stitch. It is a rounded ripple stitch and the tutorial is on Youtube in Mikeysmail. I am using three colors, warm brown, cornmeal, and carrot.

I don't have a personal blog either.
    Nice to have you with us. Hope you have a mild winter up in Michigan. I am in North Carolina, but grew up in Illinois.

Judi G
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Hi everyone, I am from Whitmore Lake, Michigan I am 44 Yrs old. I do not have a personal blog. I work full time, so on my spare time I crochet, I am single mom with two teenage kids, who keep me very busy. I am currently trying to find some camouflage yarn that is soft, to make a blanket for my boyfriend. Do you know what type would work for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Judi, I am not sure what stitch I am going to use, I was thinking about making 12x12 inch squares of different types of stitches, so I don't get bored with it then sewing then together, that way I can also try different patterns. What donyoubthink about this? This is the first time I am attempting a afghan. Thanks for the info on red heart yarn, I thought it to be a little itchy, but I was unaware of the softening it up in the dryer with a couple of dryer sheets you made my day with this info. Thank you so much. The weather here is alot milder than we are use too.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Red Heart company makes over 40 different lines of yarns. The most well known is the 'Super Saver' acrylic.

Although there isn't the huge colour range as the Supersaver has, the Red Heart 'Soft' Yarn is wonderful for afghans as well as wearables.

I personally love the new 'Super Tweed' yarn, even though its initial release was only 7 colours. Each yarn is a blend of 3 solids that match perfectly with the SuperSaver colours.

I'm still waiting to receive my first batch of the new 'SuperSaver Chunky' yarn that was just released. Its a bulky weight and I imagine that it will work up very quickly in an afghan.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

4. Likes Patti Hale, Judi Gums, Janine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I thank you for all of your help with this, I am going to go to Red Heart website to see what they have, that would work for this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone I'm from Cobourg Ontario Canada,that is about 1 hr east of Toronto. I taught myself to crochet about 40 yrs ago because my husband was a truck driver and was away for weeks on end. Crocheting made the time go faster while he was away. I can't knit whatso every, I have tried but end up with lots of missed stitches. I was online looking for something in crochet and came across this tool called a Knook. I watched on Youtube on how it worked. It is a hook with a hole at one end and you thread it with coloured cord, do a chain stitch then pull up stitches onto hook and then knit or purl over cord then when finished pull cord out and push your work onto the cord. It sounds dificult but is easier to watch on Youtube how it works. -
    I'm 64 and am raising a 12 yr old granddaughter and she gives me a run for my money LOL. I drive a school wheelchair van and for each occassion I crochet something special like at christmas I crochet a little crochet stocking and fill with treats, now I'm making valentine hearts for valentines day then for easter I make something different each year as I do for Halloween. My son does deliveries and I make some for some of his customers who are shut-ins. They can't wait to see what I have made for them. Some have quite a collection now. I like going online to see different patterns I can make. I found a heart pattern but it is written in Dutch I think and I emailed the lady but she said she can't translate in english. I'll just keep looking. I also make premature baby hats made from a round loom that you can knit with and I donate to the hospital. I'm a long winded gramma here.

7. Likes Judi Gums, Janine, Lorna liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Smiletrainyr48, Welcome to crochet talk, I found your info on Knook interesting, so I just watched a video on utube, that looks like something I would like to try sometime. Thank you for sharing. It's awesome how you are putting so much joy in others lives. Keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to each new member checking in here! Some new members may have checked into to this thread and not in the introduce yourself thread. Just in case:

Welcome to each of you! It is a pleasure to have you on board! I look forward to reading more about you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi to all of you. I am new to crochet talk from Knoxville, Tn. Like Patti, I am from the south but I have her beat on age. I am 74 and really like to crochet. Have been crocheting for about 2 1/2 years now and am always looking for something new and interesting. Right now I am learning the afghan stitch and it works up so pretty. Am really enjoying the "crochet talk." Cotton

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cotton!
    Nice to see a neighbor on here! I love the afghan stitch--my two warmest aghans are made from that stitch and they are the best! They also have held up well--one is 24 years old and still looks good!

I also liked doing that stitch because it didn't require a lot of concentration---kind of helpful for putting my mind in order, lol. If I can help, let me know (and I'll ask someone who does know, lol)
    Last edited by Patti Hale; 01-30-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Patti for the offer to help. I may need to take you up on that as I am just starting to learn. It is a beautiful stitch. I tried learning to knit with the Knook that was mentioned earlier and tho' I learned the knit stitch and the purl I did not do too good. I am at least doing better with the afghan stitch. Thanks again.