Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    My husband planted butternut squash. He likes to make Butternut Squash Soup. There's a garden down the street and our neighbors have given us some from their garden.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie - A few from the garden/neighbors is nice; 42 is too many. I told my husband we should do what Erma Bombeck suggested - go around in the dead of night and secretly put the squash and zucchini in the neighbor's mailboxes. He declined. But when his brother still owned a restaurant, my husband brought several to him and the chef made a wonderful soup from the squash. I'm still not a fan, but the restaurant patrons enjoyed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    You can give some squash away. Somebody will enjoy it. You can also freeze it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so envious of those of you that are not plagued by deer eating your garden output. I don't do veggies, but have hundreds of feet of tiered flower beds around my yard as well as free-form flat flower beds, and none of them are immune to the deer, no matter what we spray, hang or plant. This spring, for the first time in over 7 years, I saw the colors of the beautiful Asiatic lilies that I have, and my perennials ( 100+ Hostas, hydrangea, spirea, peonies, lilies, ligularia, astilbe, Queen of the Prairie, and ash leaf false spirea) were doing unusually well and starting to bloom. Then we had to have our house and retaining walls around all of the flower beds sand blasted down to the bare original wood so they could be re-stained. The house and walls are beautiful but my plants all look as though they have been bombed!! It has been nearly three weeks and many of them look as though they might come back next year, but in the meantime, whatever was not blasted apart has become deer fodder.
    Oh well, like Nova55, there is always next year.

5. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spent my childhood at the farm, so I know something about gardening for sure
    Nowadays I live in a small apartment and can afford only pots on my window sill. I don't even have a balcony, otherwise, I would grow tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers there. I wish to move in a house and start a garden at the backyard.
    Still, I manage to grow something on my window like garlic, onions and some flowers. It's nice to look at it every day, watch it grows and changes, spray it with vinegar says it helps with pets), get rid of dried sprouts and of course, water it. I'll try later to post pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband tested the soil this year and put in what it needed. I've already harvested some spinach, and the peas, beans, and zucchini are all looking good. My husband says I need to talk to the cantaloupe because it's not growing as it should - but it's still early. And of course, we have squash, but this time it's acorn instead of butternut.

8. Likes MeToo! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use Irish Spring to Keep Out Garden Pests
    https://www.curbly.com/use-irish-spr...t-garden-pests

Homemade Deer Repellent Spray
    https://www.creativeinchicago.com/20...ant-spray.html

Keeping Pests Out of your Garden
    https://www.planetnatural.com/deer-repellent/

Videos on making deer repellent
    https://www.google.com/search?q=deer...w=1366&bih=654

more videos on how to keep deer out of garden
    https://www.google.com/search?q=deer...&bih=654&dpr=1

egg shells and water to boost plants
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ter+for+plants
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 04-13-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    but in the meantime, whatever was not blasted apart has become deer fodder.

Here is my two cents' worth on deterring deer:

A very tall and sturdy fence.

Tall alone won't do it. Deer are jumping into my garden on the side of the fence that's about 7 ft. foot tall bamboo. They just kind of leap at it, wrecking the top 3 feet. It's ruined, I will have to remove the top of the fence.

A fence has to be tall + impermeable. 25 years of gardening experience has taught me this. I have had fencing + deer woes from Day One.

Good luck with your gardening, everyone. Where I live, I can't put any seeds in until maybe first week of May.

11. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy do I envy you, Nova 55. Fresh garden produce in April. After last week's snowstorm, we still have over 12" of snow on the ground here!! It seems as though spring will never arrive. Thanks to Jean Marie for the deer tips, but as MeToo! said, NOTHING will stop those deer if you have anything that they like or if they are really hungry. This winter they dug down through over 3 feet of snow to eat the Barberry bushes and they are covered with thorny spikes. The only 100% effective deterrent is a solid 8 foot wall so they cannot see what is on the other side. They will not jump into the unknown, but I refuse to live inside a fortress, so this summer I guess I will have to just bite the bullet and replace many of my beautiful and rare Hosta and perennials with shrubs that do not bloom or are less inviting to my deer and their pals. It could be a very sad summer at my house this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've loved my spinach salads, but the problem with southern CA is that we get so hot most veggies can't handle it and just die (no broccoli for me!). But I'm happy with what we can grow, so no complaints here. I know winter has been a long stretch for all of you in the midwest and northeast this year, but spring will be here soon, I promise!