Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyday Life of The Homemaker

Being a homemaker takes talent and skills! Now that I am retired, I can devote more time to the things of home and its surroundings. This calling in life brings me great enjoyment!

Let's share our homemaking skills and chat about our everyday lives as homemakers!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Balance is the key to being a good homemaker. Work some and play some! As a planner and goal-setter, I make to-do lists which help me maintain and manage our household. My lists are made weekly and some activities are long term for the month or year. I have 5 year goals also! My playtime comes in the form of enjoying my various hobbies. Gardening is among the hobbies I enjoy this time of year!

Do you make to-do lists? What hobbies do you enjoy?

Post Thanks / Like
    I make lots of plans but I never seem to get anything done anymore. When I was younger (and healthier) I used to be a great housekeeper but now... well ... I just tell folks not to look! LOL

4. Likes wenda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dusting is a huge issue for me. I dust, the wind blows and have to dust all over again. Now that I am retired too, I enjoy puttering and doing a little here and there. I worked diligently on Geneology stuff for a while and will get back to that some day. I want to leave it so my daughter and son can take it from where I leave off! I am not that organized to actually put my goals down, but have them in my head! HAHA. So I will be dangerous in the finish! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Good topic, Butterfly.

I believe the terms I would use for my house are "lived in" and "homey", lol. It's funny, when I worked I had far less time, and was much better organized. Now that I'm retired, my priorities seem to have changed. I have time to do anything I want, and sometimes it's not housework, lol.

I keep my kitchen clean and the dishes done (most of the time). My living room is usually presentable. But, as you proceed toward the other rooms, the disorder appears. The older we get, the more stuff we accumulate it seems. I've never been good at throwing things away, and have a tendency to save things "just in case I need it." My hubby is like-minded, so that is a good thing. We don't fuss about clutter, but we have twice as much. He saves things I don't understand, and I save things he would probably toss out. Live and let live is our motto, and it makes for a happy relationship.

I am of the opinion that we live many different lives as time goes by. When I was younger and my hubby had his own business, we had people over for dinner frequently, and the way my house looked was more important to me. Parents of my children's friends would drop in. Now, mostly close longtime friends and family are our guests. They know us and love us, no matter if my house is presentable or not.

It has been very liberating for me to take "what will they think of me" out of my vocabulary.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

7. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when the kids were little and Tom's folks would drive out in their motorhome and park in front of the house. My system really took a hit when I knew they were coming as I wanted things perfect. I think I was 40 something when I realized they would love me anyway! Tom has radio parts and pieces in the front office and a "2nd office" in one of the bedrooms. Lola sleeps in the guest room. We have a great room where we spend all our time so the living room actually just houses the dining table and my mother's china cabinet. We have a couple of chairs and some children's chairs and things but we just don't use the room at all so have never gotten furniture. I agree that we sort of go through stages in our lives, Annette, and I have come to realize that it is OK. I would rather sit and look around and see pics of kids and scenes we love (uncle painted). We are home-bodies now and enjoy to the hilt!! Hugs, Shirley

9. Likes buggainok, DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Buggainok!

Yesterday, I prepared dinner although my hubby said rest, we'll do take-out. It was my joy to prepare fried chicken(spicy & Mrs. Dash only), green beans, baked potatoes with sour cream and shredded cheese. We had fudge chocolate cake from the bakery!

Last nite, I folded some clothes and sorted some items and arranged them in a pretty cloth- lined basket. Looks very nice!

***TIP: I like to use a small plastic bag to catch the "trash" while I prep items to cook. Makes for an easy cleanup!

11. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflyrose View Post
    Thank you Buggainok!

Yesterday, I prepared dinner although my hubby said rest, we'll do take-out. It was my joy to prepare fried chicken(spicy & Mrs. Dash only), green beans, baked potatoes with sour cream and shredded cheese. We had fudge chocolate cake from the bakery!

Last nite, I folded some clothes and sorted some items and arranged them in a pretty cloth- lined basket. Looks very nice!

***TIP: I like to use a small plastic bag to catch the "trash" while I prep items to cook. Makes for an easy cleanup!
    You and I have sweet husbands. Mine is also always ready to get take-out, or to take me out. Like you, I mostly prepare dinner for us. Once in while I fix what I call "Breakfast for Dinner." Eggs, bacon or sausage and biscuits or toast.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

13. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bev and Annette: I used to fix breakfast for dinner quite often when the kids were little. They thought it was great! I also use a plastic bag and put all the potato skins, veggie trimmings etc. I do the same if I am peeling eggs or anything else that is messy. Your dinner sounds delish! I cooked one large chicken breast for the two of us in foil on the grill with Lawry's and then cut up some potatoes and put those in foil with butter and Lawry's on the grill too. Green beans finished dinner. I buy sugar free black cherry jello so we had that for dessert. Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Butterfly, back to your original post, you asked if we make lists - and about our hobbies.

I have never been a list maker, but do pretty well keeping things in my mind. I do make a grocery list, but that's about it. Even when I worked as an executive assistant, I rarely wrote lists, but just kept everything in mind and remembered it. I know some folks really like making lists and work well with them.

In addition to crocheting, I enjoy making handmade cards and other papercrafts, decorated notebooks, etc. I also love to sew for my grandchildren. One daughter has 5 girls, so I stay busy sewing clothes for them.

I'm also an avid reader. I read fast, always have, and get through at least a book a week, maybe more, if it's a really exciting mystery! I live close to a library branch and check books out constantly. I've never been much of a TV watcher, but I do keep up with cable news and occasional true crime documentaries. I also worked as a legal secretary for many years, and I still find trials fascinating.

I love looking at other people's flowers and gardens, but I'm just not the outdoor type at all. I'm the lady on the block with silk geraniums in the pot on the front porch, lol.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

16. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post