Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cotton Yarn?

Post Thanks / Like

Cotton Yarn?

I am thinking about beginning to make some clothing using cotton yarn, but I am wondering if it keeps its color when washed. I have made the wash cloths and pot holders and they fade so badly. Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never made any clothing with cotton yarn (in fact I haven't crocheted clothing, period, except if you count hats and scarves, lol.) Like you, I've made dishcloths and potholders with cotton yarn. The dishcloths all fade pretty much. Potholders aren't in water much, and the color thus stays.

It seems to me that anything made with cotton tends to fade more than synthetics though. Even 100% cotton T-shirts as compared to 50/50 with poly.

I don't really even like to crochet with cotton yarn very much. There is not any "give" and I find it much more difficult to work with than acrylic, which is my favorite.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with buggainok, I don't like the cotton yarn that you use to make dishcloths, they fade to fast and to put all that work into a garment then have it fade after a couple of washing would be upsetting.. If I would make a garment I would find something in the mercerized thread in a #3 or 5 the color in them don't fade. Plus I would try and find a cotton blend but it would be a little more expensive.