Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Help Please!!

Post Thanks / Like

Help Please!!

I am getting ready to put an edging on my Dad's lapghan. I saw a picture tut for spike stitch edging. It was right handed and I couldn't quite get it. I have googled the net trying to find a video for left handers.

Does anyone know where I can find a video tutorial for this? Has anyone heard of the single crochet spike stitch edging? It's really neat, and I am thinking an spike edging using bright yellow against the teal blue/green will really make the blanket edging pop!
    ~Tammy~

2. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, I'm a lefty but I've never heard of this stitch, well by name anyways....let me check it out and get back to ya....

4. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this by another name, the long single crochet stitch; I dunno if it's cuz I'm left handed or because I did it as a pattern; I made a book mark...
    anyways, the simple basic way to explain it is w/ sc...OK, so you start on the left side of you lapghan and you can crochet three single crochets...regularly...now, your 4th sc you need to skip a row and put you hook through, catch the yarn, (this is key) pull the yarn up to where you are working and and finish the sc....and restart 3sc etc...hope this helps....happy crocheting.

6. Likes justplainjudy, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    couldn't find a video but maybe this might help you..click the link..

How to Crochet Spikes - For Dummies

8. Likes justplainjudy, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How many of us are Leftys? I find there are more and more. More tutorials for us too. When I was small I was punished in school for using my left hand to write, eat, etc., yet still grew up to be proud of it, and delighted my son is a lefty also.

10. Likes justplainjudy, Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I am right handed, but still could perform a lots of tasks with both of my hands as well. But anyhow there are still some of the tasks which we need to perform with a single and specific hand, in such case having some trouble really do irritate for some times.

Fairways Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    http://www.fairwayssupportedliving.com.au/
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.
    Last edited by crook; 03-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.

12. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heart, I grew up in the times that lefties were STARTING to be OK...I am grateful to my primary teacher who taught me to use the paper and pencil the right way for a left handed person, no hook wrist for me. But I was considered weak for being left handed. I was even forced to 'cut' paper at home w/ my right hand so I would avoid 'accidents'....I know go figure. No one in my family is left handed....so it's hard that EVERYTHING in the house is for right handed; I have an issues w/ my right shoulder now, and I would love to just reach over and grab the coffee pot w/ my left hand w/o having to grab it first w/ my right, putting it down and then switching to my left....lol; I am so glad I didn't give up learning to crochet w/ my left hand. I enjoy just having this for me with my south paw.... Crook, it's good that you understand because you fall into a rare category that can display sympathy and maybe even help the true hardship we lefties have....happy crocheting to all, south paws and right hand alike.

14. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about right shoulder issues, Anaisa. I hope improves. Crook, how nice for you to be ambidextrous!
    I'm fine with 'righty' world. Forgive/not forget teachers hitting with ruler, making sit on left hand 2 write/eat, no scissors. Just historically ignorant & intolerant time for that and other differences. No hooked wrist 4 me either. Won Mary Poore Writing Awards when writing taught. I like being lefty/special.

16. Likes justplainjudy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a strange lefty..I right with my left had, and eat with my left hand. But I throw a ball with my right hand and crochet right handed..Although my mother did teach me to crochet when I was younger so maybe that is why I crochet with my right hand...
    I have done some reading about left handed people since my son was young and I have found out that left handed people use the right hemisphere of there brain and right handed people use the left hemisphere of there brain...
    So left handed people are in our right minds....LOL
    Last edited by jcrsga; 03-09-2013 at 09:59 AM.

18. Likes justplainjudy, doe1974, GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a video that might help with the spike stitch also called the long stitch...

20. Likes doe1974 liked this post