Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Water proofing mittens

Has anyone ever tried to water proof crocheted or knitted mittens? My daughter suggested scotch guard. I'm leary about using it on something that could come in contact with the face when you brush snow off your face . I know mittens I crochet would be warmer and a lot cheaper than anything I have seen in the stores or online. I just want to be able to shovel snow off the driveway and cars without getting my hands wet and freezing. Thank you for any suggestions.
    Barb

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Barb,

I've never thought about waterproofing mittens. I know from past experience what it's like to get the mittens wet and it's no fun when your hands turn into blocks of ice from the wet mittens!

I do have a solution which doesn't involve "treating" the mittens with anything. I bought the disposable gloves hairdressers use at a beauty supply store such as Sally's. Or you can get them at a health supply store. I've seen them, too, at drug stores.

Slip on a pair of them and then put on your mittens. Your hands won't get as cold as they do when the mittens get wet.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barb,
    You can also put on those craft gloves before putting on your mittens. They provide heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. This would be a great idea for me to use. I will get some the disposable gloves. Maybe if my daughter sees me doing this she will decide it makes more sense than spending money on expensive mittens that she could use to buy more yarn.