Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Hook size decrepency between brands

Has anyone noticed the difference in sizes between the Susan Bates and Boye hooks? I have compared 9.0mm of each and the Susan Bates is larger.
    Last edited by tealady; 11-11-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there is a difference between Boye and Bates hooks. And if you're interested in antique hooks, I believe those were different too. That's why I always list the mm size of the hook on all of my patterns. Oh, yes, and I also have seen some wonderfully ornate and expensive wooden hooks that probably have their own measurements. What is a hooker to do?! I guess if size is important, make a swatch.

3. Thanks dancingbaehr thanked for this post
    Likes little drummer, karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the information. I think the thing that confused me was they both were marked 9.0mm. I will take your advice and make a swatch from now on, since I have had to purchase additional yarn to complete the patterns. This makes getting the same dye lot difficult. Have a blessed day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never thought about different brands of hooks being different sizes. I don't check my gauge because I only make afghans, scarves, shawls, etc. I do know that the brands have very different shapes on the hook end. I use different brands of hooks depending on the type of yarn I'm using. I like Boye hooks for acrylic and Susan Bates hooks for cotton yarn.

I also have a set of beautiful wood hooks that my mom bought me. But they're not comfortable for me to use because they don't have that "flat spot" to help me hold the hook straight in my hand. Since the handle part is totally round, they "roll" in my hand and makes it difficult to crochet with them.

Shelley

6. Thanks dancingbaehr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there is a difference - see chart in Thread Crochet and Snowflakes.

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never knew they were different either! Guess I'll be making swatches, if I need one, from now on! I just usually use the size called for. I have both Boye and Susan Bates hooks, but I just pick out the correct size and get started crocheting. I've never had a problem with this.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use only the lighted hooks any more because of arthritis in my thumb. I need the larger handle to hold on to. I too have a beautiful rose wood hook that I can't use as it doesn't have the flattened section. I think you have to use the knife grip on these type hooks, which try as I might I can't master.

Judi G

10. Thanks Donanne thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not compared sizes, as I am a one-brand crocheter ..... the shape of the hooks is different. Susan Bates hooks are flatter at the back of the hook (my preference), while Boye hooks have a more curved tip. They do handle differently when working with the yarn, and I wouldn't switch mid-project, but otherwise it's personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

hook size

Gauge has never mattered for the things I make either, but I want to make a loose cardigan style top that will sub for a light weight coat when my shawl isn't warm enough or I need something with better forearm coverage. I want to do another shawl too, but I'd like to try sleeves, and I've been looking at patterns & want to find one for the cardigan that won't blow my mind to have the warmer top. I was reading about Furls hooks this weekend since they're giving away a hook. All I knew about them was their round shape, so I got on their website. The round part you hold in your hand they say is good for the space between your index and thumb, it's supposed to help carpal tunnel and arthritis, but their prices are unbelievable so if I don't win one, I won't even by trying one.

It depends a lot on the yarn softness and thickness as to how much pain crochet hurts my hands, and then it's my wrist or arm muscles that hurt and not my actual hand.... also the length of time I crochet at once determines the muscle strain effect. I've found that the softer and thinner the yarn, the better, but all items can't be that kind of yarn for all patterns. Good flat hooks just glide thru the thinner softer yarn. But I love chunky yarn and other types that tend to be more work on the hand & arm, so I use those and be careful about hook size to be sure it works well for the yarn.

I do the knife grip, the other way looks impossible to me, and I try to do it like some people do, I swear I don't see how they hold a hook like that! When I was learning I never paid attention to the way they (misc people on youtube) were holding the hook that much, and I just held it the way it felt natural and thought the other way would maybe come to me as I did more pieces. It didn't come to me!

The flat hooks are fine for me but I put thick rubber bands around them and then put the rubber grips from pens my husband had and put them over the rubber bands, at the flat part of the hooks. I try to crochet easy with no strain in my hands but it does seem to get to me some due to arthritis and tendonitis & muscle strain/spasms from the Fibro. I'd love to have some perfect hooks for my hands that made all crochet feel easy but it's going to affect me no matter what.

Most of my hooks are from a friend who sent me her mothers hooks when I started to crochet, and they must be a little over 50 yrs old. They're all stainless steel Susan Bates & do great, and I have every size that exists except for the larger, so I want to get and N and a P. That was so wonderful of her to send me those hooks, she said she wanted them to be used so I was the lucky one.

I read too that the Carons softer yarn that tend to pull apart more than other yarns, my shawl was that yarn, I thought it was me but I tried two different hook brands and it still did that some, but not enough for me to not have a beautiful shawl tho. And I'll use it again for sure! Some hooks do better on that type of yarn they say, but I couldn't tell it. I'd have to look again to be sure, they said the end hook shape matters on that & other yarn types, so brand will matter if you have different brands that is.

I bought a Boyle once when out of town since I had no hook with me. I wish I could try them all out, now I learn about Clover, and 1 or 2 other brands that I'd love to try simply to be able to find the one that lets me crochet non stop with no problems!

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, have you thought about making a set of wrist warmers or fingerless gloves to wear with your shawl? You could make them long enough to go up to your elbow. It'll help to keep your arms a little warmer.

Shelley