Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Prayer Shawl

Post Thanks / Like

Prayer Shawl

This is one of my designs for a prayer shawl. It was made with Red Heart Soft Yarn.
    Shirly

I thought maybe my computer would let me up-load this picture this time, but it still
    won't co-operate. My SIL will be here in a couple of weeks and I'll have him look at it.
    This is really making me unhappy. I have finally gotten all 9 of the Bed Dolls crocheted
    for my GGD and I had hoped I could let you all see them. Sure hope Richard can get the
    problem solved. Sorry. Better luck next time.
    Last edited by Shirly; 10-01-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: addition to text

2. Likes amanda, missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not very religious and don't know: why do they call it a prayer shawl?
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

4. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Prayer shawls are made with prayers for the recipient. Some people have the church pray over the shawls also. I found out about them this year when KayeMory taught me about them. She and redhead are the ones that know more about them to my knowledge.

6. Likes amanda, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twinfaye View Post
    Prayer shawls are made with prayers for the recipient. Some people have the church pray over the shawls also. I found out about them this year when KayeMory taught me about them. She and redhead are the ones that know more about them to my knowledge.
    Thank you for the info, Faye.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like

Prayer Shawl

The women's group in my church is called "Women of Joy". One of the things they do is crochet Prayer Shawls. When we learn of someone being ill, facing upcoming surgery, losing a family member, etc., a member of the group will crochet that person a prayer shawl. As they are crocheting they will pray for the person and their need. When the shawl is finished the group will have joint prayer which very often includes our pastor. The shawl is then delivered by two or three members of the group and again they will join in prayer with the reciprent.

As an example......a few years ago we learned that a man, who was a very active member before moving out state, had cancer. He was a very good friend of mine. We lived in the same neighborhood when growing up and later worked together. His wife's name was Iris. I designed a shawl for her with an Iris flower on it and crocheted it using lavender yarn. I prayed for healing for her husband and strength and peace for her. I'm sorry to say that his was a very fast growing cancer (and I think he waited too long before seeking treatment) and he died a few months later. We received notes of gratitude from Iris telling us how much she had appreciated the shawl. She said that she could feel the prayers for herself and Mason every time she wrapped the shawl around her shoulders, even after his passing. The group continues to receive notes of thanks for the shawls and the prayers.

9. Likes amanda, N/A, little drummer, buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is such a lovely story. You guys do good works.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I am now involved in a prayer shawl ministry group that meets once a month (usually first Friday) and when they give out the shawls, they add a little card with a prayer on it for the recipient. We start out with a prayer and end with a prayer at each meeting.

I think it is a wonderful gesture to reach out to those who need it most and many of them are surprised that people they don't even know will take the time to do something to help them. I find it very comforting when I am crocheting them.

LI Roe

12. Likes amanda, N/A, little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was inspired to make one after I received one from Kaye. I chose to give it to a friend of my Mom's that is going through a lot with a sick husband and she isn't in good shape. I prayed for her to have strength and compassion and other things that were personal to her. I took it to her and she was thrilled. She has it laying on her bed to be able to see it all the time. That was a good feeling!!

14. Likes amanda, N/A, little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Annette I wonder who I contact about this Shawl Group?? Can tell I dont belong to a Church. I Pray everynight for all Friends and special one the ones in NEED of a Helping Hand.

Shirly a touching Story of frienship, those in need of a open hand of?????? I want & need to do this, for me as well as for others. I can crochet so???? Thanks your our inspirational Friend. Have A Good Evening. HUGS Susan M J

16. Likes amanda, little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    LiRoe I believe your the first I knew who did this as well as many many more. Thanks you. What besides your lovely shawls are you doing?? Be Safe & Well LUV Susan M J