Quote Originally Posted by janie mae View Post
Patty, I am sorry about your son's eye. My hubby bikes,too, a lot. 50-60 miles, 2-3 times a week. He is training for the 200 mile MS ride in late Sept. They leave St Augustine on Saturday morning for Daytona, spend the night, then return to St Augustine on Sunday. They pay an entry fee, hotel food, their personal donation. Then they are expected to raise $200, or $1 per mile.
People are rude. Throw bottles at them, blow horns, yell ugly words. The people he rides with are not on a leisure ride. They average 26-29 mph! They are moving! There have been so many bicyclists & pedestrians killed lately, mostly hit & run accidents. It's scary. The roads belong to all. No one has the right to hurt another. I heard about those young people hit in Arkansas about a week ago & I got sick. The driver hasn't been charged yet! One girl died, others are hurt. They had believed the driver was under the influence. I don't know what they are waiting for.
That really scares me...both of my sons ride almost everyday. They rode today as hot as it was. over 94 degrees or close to 100 this evening. I worry about heat stroke too. The oldest one will be 56 in August. He is in really good shape tho so I hope he can take all that riding. The one who is still here visiting from ARk will be 54 in Dec and the youngest will be 52 in Sept. He doesn't have a chance to ride much. He is too busy with family (4 kids) and he's my preacher son. Both of the older ones ride so much. Tonight was a group ride with the racing riders. My 2 kept up with them to the end of the ride!! I don't know how fast they ride but I know it is FAST!! My son from Ark rides the hills of Arkansas and is really in good shape. I gotta go now so maybe I will get back on tomorrow a while. I am getting sleepy. XOXOXOXOXO, Patty/redhead