Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo

I've posted a bit about this before, but now I have photo's!

I have a pair of jeans that I adore, but sadly after over ten years of that love, they are showing the signs of wear. I decided that I would put my crochet and craft to good use and redo them. So far I've crocheted a lacy eyelet trim for the hems, a filet crochet butterfly to cover one hole and used my newly learned Irish lace stitches to crochet a square to cover the other hole. I dyed some badly stained size 30 thread with watercolor paints to crochet more motifs to decorate them with, just need to find some butterflies and flower patterns that I like. Oh yes, and I cheated a little by using some scrap lace to cover the back pockets.

Here's what I have so far, and please, what do you think? Is it too much?
    Attached Images Attached Images Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-crochetthreadexperiment-006-jpg Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-crochetthreadexperiment-008-jpg Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-crochetthreadexperiment-007-jpg Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-crochetthreadexperiment-003-jpg 

2. Likes N/A, libertylady64, cybarra, Beatrice1953 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I don't think it's a bit 'too much' I'd like to see the complete pair of jeans when you're finished. I like it! Good crafting! How did you get that thread to look like it does. I know you said water colors, but how?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not at all! I have the same issue and I am making my jeans into shorts.....happy crocheting indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    too cool!! neat idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great idea! The other day I seen a pair of jeans on Pinterest that someone crocheted a lacy skirt to it. But I like your idea if the jeans aren't too far gone!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been 'pinning' DIY lace projects to my Pinterest like crazy, using them for inspiration. I'm not good enough to make real lace, the size 30 thread is a challenge enough for me, but I'm working on it. I 'dyed' the thread by first wrapping it around an empty cardboard tube (that crochet thread comes on?) making sure to wrap it up and down so that I would get a variegated color. Then I took my watercolor pencils and a paintbrush and painted stripes of color, first a inch of red, then orange, then yellow, then green, blue, indigo, and last purple. I used a lot of paint, hoping it would soak all of the way through. When I had the thread covered with paint, I painted it again with rubbing alcohol, hoping that it will help set the colors better. It lightened the paint a little but that is okay with me, I like the tie-dyed effect it created. I dried it, first with the fan, then the blow drier, unwound it, washed it, and dried it again! LOL Sounds like a lot of effort, doesn't it. I know that the color may fade a little more when I wash it, but that's okay, too, it will look more appropriate with my faded jeans, right?
    Last edited by MarjorieCrochets; 04-05-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling errors

8. Likes cybarra, GrammaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two new elements made to put on my denim shorts, butterflies and flowers, made with the watercolor dyed thread. I'm going to look for a different flower pattern though, these are soooo tiny!
    Attached Images Attached Images Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-tinycrochet-003-jpg Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-tinycrochet-002-jpg 

10. Likes N/A, cybarra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another element, probably the last for now. This pattern is for a pair of earrings, but I thought it would be pretty on my jeans, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-filligree-002-jpg 

12. Likes thatwoman, GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How fun! Never thought of using crochet to cover the holes in my jeans. Have been using purchased applique patches. Now I will crochet my patches!

14. Likes MarjorieCrochets liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished Project

Here's my finished denim shorts redo project!
    Attached Images Attached Images Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-denimshortsredo-001-jpg Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-denimshortsredo-002-jpg Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-denimshortsredofront-jpg Current WIP - Denim Jeans Redo-rightleg-jpg 

16. Likes cybarra, thatwoman liked this post