Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Pool tote or basket

Here is the pool tote or basket I made out of plastic bags. I used Double crochets for the handles and I should have continued in single crotches instead. I wanted to do the single crochets in the knit stitch but the plastic drags on the hook and it was difficult to get the hook through the single crochet on the previous row.
    I only did 2 rows at a time as my hands got tired because of the drag on the hook.
    I will use it take the water toys for the grandbabies at the pool (waterproof) yea!!!

Spoula
    Attached Images Attached Images Pool tote or basket-pool-tote-jpg Pool tote or basket-pool-tote-snacks-jpg 

2. Likes karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    You persevered and got it done. I didn't see a emoji for hands clapping but I wanted to post that. You did a nice job! Looks like you will be able to carry a lot of stuff. Did you have a pattern for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, Thanks, I didn't have a pattern I just did sc in a circle for 10" then did a row of back loop only to make a ridge. Then as I said I tried to do the knit stitch but it was impossible to get the hook through the previous sc in the row before so I just continued with sc around.

I am disappointed in the handles. When I made the chains for the handles they are tight. When I crocheted back around I saw that if I tried to crochet in the chains it would break the plastic chains. So at first I wrapped the hook and did sc crochets but that was too time consuming and made the handles small like a rope (which I see would have been better to do). I ended up doing dc around the chains. I just wanted to finish the basket as I started loosing interest as I had that cross stitch picture waiting for me to finish.
    The pictures are not so good the basket looks better then what I posted it is sturdy.

It is a good size basket and will work well for the toys and snacks. When I don't have the children with me I can pack it with crochet supplies and enjoy my work poolside.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 03-07-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hi Jean Marie, Thanks, I didn't have a pattern I just did sc in a circle for 10" then did a row of back loop only to make a ridge. Then as I said I tried to do the knit stitch but it was impossible to get the hook through the previous sc in the row before so I just continued with sc around.

I am disappointed in the handles. When I made the chains for the handles they are tight. When I crocheted back around I saw that if I tried to crochet in the chains it would break the plastic chains. So at first I wrapped the hook and did sc crochets but that was too time consuming and made the handles small like a rope (which I see would have been better to do). I ended up doing dc around the chains. I just wanted to finish the basket as I started loosing interest as I had that cross stitch picture waiting for me to finish.
    The pictures are not so good the basket looks better then what I posted it is sturdy.

It is a good size basket and will work well for the toys and snacks. When I don't have the children with me I can pack it with crochet supplies and enjoy my work poolside.

Spoula
    Hi Spoula,
    What do you mean by the knit stitch? The handles are fine. I would advise you not to worry about it. Maybe braiding the handles would've been good? At least the basket is sturdy so you can carry stuff in it and you have handles to carry the basket.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, The knit stitch in crochet is when you crochet the first row with single crochets and then all other rows you will insert your hook between the V of the previous sc to make it look like a knit stitch.
    The basket is fine for what I will use it for. If I really wanted it to look good I would have crocheted it. I just wanted to use up all those plastic bags I had collected. Don't want to put them in a land field with the trash. They came in handy.

What are you working on now?
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    I'll have to look up the crochet knit stitch sometime. Maybe there's a video on it. It's nice that the basket you made is plastic. I had made 2 unicorn hats that I sold and my husband said something about making more unicorn hats so I've been working on that. About 2 weeks ago on a Monday night I crocheted 32 leaves. The next day I crocheted 6 flowers between Bible Study and Bible Cub and then 6 more flowers after Bible Club. (I didn't roll the flowers up to shape them at that time; I just crocheted them.) On Wednesday I crocheted 6 more flowers for the hat and I got started crocheting the ears. Thursday and Friday I crocheted more ears and somewhere along the line I crocheted another leaf. Oh, I also crocheted the horns for the hats. I weaved in yarn ends. I've crocheted 4 unicorn hats. I crocheted the last one of the 2 pieces of the ear together of the ones I have done today. I have 4 more unicorn hats to crochet cause I have enough flowers (the flowers are rolled up to resemble a flower now), leaves, unicorns for 8 hats. The hats aren't hard. It's a flat circle and then dc in ea st and the ear-flaps are hdc. I can make a hat in 2 days. Maybe a day and a half.

Since I had 32 leaves to start with I figured 4 leaves to a hat - 8x4 is 32. That's why 8 hats.

Jean Marie
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-07-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My sister had given me some yarn and a old shoe box for cardboard to use to make flowers and showed me and said it was on Pinterest and that I didn't have to do ti exactly like the one she showed me. So I looked on Pinterest and found a few and I also have a flower loom but I haven't gotten to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoula, Hi,
    I just got to thinking. You had to cut the plastic bags and then loop them together before you crocheted. that took some time too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Spoula,
    I'll have to look up the crochet knit stitch sometime. Maybe there's a video on it. It's nice that the basket you made is plastic. I had made 2 unicorn hats that I sold and my husband said something about making more unicorn hats so I've been working on that. About 2 weeks ago on a Monday night I crocheted 32 leaves. The next day I crocheted 6 flowers between Bible Study and Bible Cub and then 6 more flowers after Bible Club. (I didn't roll the flowers up to shape them at that time; I just crocheted them.) On Wednesday I crocheted 6 more flowers for the hat and I got started crocheting the ears. Thursday and Friday I crocheted more ears and somewhere along the line I crocheted another leaf. Oh, I also crocheted the horns for the hats. I weaved in yarn ends. I've crocheted 4 unicorn hats. I crocheted the last one of the 2 pieces of the ear together of the ones I have done today. I have 4 more unicorn hats to crochet cause I have enough flowers (the flowers are rolled up to resemble a flower now), leaves, unicorns for 8 hats. The hats aren't hard. It's a flat circle and then dc in ea st and the ear-flaps are hdc. I can make a hat in 2 days. Maybe a day and a half.

Since I had 32 leaves to start with I figured 4 leaves to a hat - 8x4 is 32. That's why 8 hats.

Jean Marie
    Make that one night and the next morning or afternoon or evening, when I get around to it that it takes to crochet one unicorn hat not including the flowers and leaves and horn for the top of the hat and then I still need the eyes on the hat and the braids for the ties.

Post Thanks / Like
    I crocheted the 13 rnds of the hat; I'm ready to do the ear-flaps. I could get the hat done tonight.
    I got the hat done. Yea! I might even start on another hat tonight.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-07-2019 at 06:04 PM.