Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Baby dress for my great niece

Hello everyone, I started making some crochet items first then a few knitting ones later for my Great niece that will be born the last of May. I wanted to finish several different sizes as you never know if the baby will be small or large. So I am starting at 9 months and going to work up to 2 years old. If they do not fit they have friends with babies that they can give to them.

Here is a picture of the little angel pinafore I made today for my Great Niece. I have 2 more crochet items also in the works. Another little dress and a cardigan. I switch back and forth as they are different stitches and my hands and fingers don't get as tired as they do with repetitive motion. I will post the others as I complete them.
    Spoula
    Attached Images Attached Images Baby dress for my great niece-dress-niece-jpg 

2. Likes karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    You did a nice job. What size hook did you use? I ask because I know of someone who had a baby girl and I made a dress with a K size hook ( the hook was my grandma's; it is bigger than what you would get in the store today) and I thought that was too big for now ( I know she would grow into it) so I started another one with a 'G' size hook.

Both dresses are sundresses. I added sleeves to the first dress and might make the sleeves a bit longer. They are both from the same pattern. I also am thinking about trying the whipped cream dress. Is it hard to do?
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-16-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, Thanks about the dress. I used a size H/8 hook or 5mm. I like a G hook that is my favorite hook.
    I used the 3 month size pattern using the same number of stitches but by using the H hook I think my dress will fit at least 9 to 12 months.
    The Whipped cream dress is really pretty. I used and through out the pattern an E/4 or 3.5mm hook. I used a small hook because I used #1 superfine yarn. I think the dress would look nicer using #5 thread and make the sleeves less puffy. The pattern was not hard to do. Read it through first before you start. I made the top the way I would any top without reading there was a placket in back. I didn't want the placket so it threw me off starting on each row of the skirt. I got to row 10 about 10 times by pulling it out and rereading the pattern. If you start your rows where the pattern tells you it should be alright. I also recommend using a light color yarn or thread because the stitches are so small it was difficult for me to see the next chain 1 space or where to put the hook next. Also I think the design will show up better in a light color. If you decide to make it and you run into trouble I will be glad to help.
    I started another dress this morning. I don't have a pattern at all for this one. I started with a yoke top then a star stitch pattern, then a row of HDC, then 5 rows of SC. Now I am working on the skirt with chevron stitches. I don't like the skirt so far because my yarn is a #4 worsted and it just looks cramped. I am still trying to decide what I want to do.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 03-19-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hi Jean Marie, Thanks about the dress. I used a size H/8 hook or 5mm. I like a G hook that is my favorite hook.
    I used the 3 month size pattern using the same number of stitches but by using the H hook I think my dress will fit at least 9 to 12 months.
    The Whipped cream dress is really pretty. I used and through out the pattern an E/4 or 3.5mm hook. I used a small hook because I used #1 superfine yarn. I think the dress would look nicer using #5 thread and make the sleeves less puffy. The pattern was not hard to do. Read it through first before you start. I made the top the way I would any top without reading there was a placket in back. I didn't want the placket so it threw me off starting on each row of the skirt. I got to row 10 about 10 times by pulling it out and rereading the pattern. If you start your rows where the pattern tells you it should be alright. I also recommend using a light color yarn or thread because the stitches are so small it was difficult for me to see the next chain 1 space or where to put the hook next. Also I think the design will sow up better in a light color. If you decide to make it and you run into trouble I will be glad to help.
    I started another dress this morning. I don't have a pattern at all for this one. I started with a yoke top then a star stitch pattern, then a row of HDC, then 5 rows of SC. Now I am working on the skirt with chevron stitches. I don't like the skirt so far because my yarn is a #4 worsted and it just looks cramped. I am still trying to decide what I want to do.
    Spoula
    Hi Spoula,
    What is a placket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,

In sewing it is the buttonhole band. I just wanted to crochet up the back yoke and make my own buttonholes by crocheting 2 or 3 chains then continue with sc. I think my way is easier.

Below is a description from the Internet
    To crochet a buttonhole into a placket, you just skip enough stitches in the designated row of the placket to accommodate the size of the button. The buttonhole will be horizontal and is usually created in a row close to the center of the placket, with a row or two following to add strength.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula, you said something about switching what stitch you're doing so your hands don't get sore. You can also get grippers to put on you hooks from the dollar store.
    I have a pair of Ergonomic fingerless gloves and also another pair of gloves that are longer and go about halfway up or so on the fingers. I have put on a reg. pair of gloves too so the yarn doesn't slide on my hand and fingers and make them sore. The Ergonomic gloves can also be used when typing on the computer or answering the phone, etc. but you probably know that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Spoula, you said something about switching what stitch you're doing so your hands don't get sore. You can also get grippers to put on you hooks from the dollar store.
    I have a pair of Ergonomic fingerless gloves and also another pair of gloves that are longer and go about halfway up or so on the fingers. I have put on a reg. pair of gloves too so the yarn doesn't slide on my hand and fingers and make them sore. The Ergonomic gloves can also be used when typing on the computer or answering the phone, etc. but you probably know that.
    Hi Jean Marie, My pain is mostly in the tendons down the arms. Years of typing and computers of repetitive motion is the problem. I actually have a brace with a steel rod that goes against your palm that helps relax the tendons. My problem is when I start to crochet or knit I don't want to stop until I am done and that is not always possible. Some patterns take more then a day to do.
    Thanks for the advise and about the grippers I had not ever used anything like that. My crochet hooks are very old more then 50 years old and some pasted down from my mother is older then that. The newer hooks are better designed.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    I know the Lacy dress you made is the whip cream dress.You also crocheted a light blue dress - is this also the whipped cream dress? and where is this one pictured?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, No the light blue dress is not the Whipped cream dress.
    Is this the dress you are asking about. If so this is the Lotus Blossom dress that Choiyuk posted. It was difficult to make as the instructions did not match the photo. I had to look at the picture to get the design. If you want to make it and follow the instructions it is still a pretty pattern. The difference that I found was that there was a space to separate the design that was in the picture but not in the instructions along with a few other things. Not enough not to want to make it. But I like the picture better.

I have attached the pictures so you can see the difference. The white dress is what I wanted to make the pattern was an interpretation of that pattern. I didn't know that at the time I was making the dress. I started the top and the skirt and then I looked at the picture and saw the dress I had started was not the white one. I was too far into the dress to pull it out so I looked at the picture and tried to finish the skirt with the space. The design is pretty but not what I wanted. I would like to have the pattern of the white dress but don't know where to get it.

Lotus blossom dress pictures different pattern.pdf

Baby dress for my great niece-front-jpg
    Last edited by spoula; 03-18-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That mauve dress is the cutest thing ever. You even added a little dotted bow...

12. Likes spoula liked this post