Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  50
Page 5 of 11 First ... 34567 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    I crochet but would love to knit too, and I wonder if I would enjoy it as much because I cannot imagine double my pleasure! Knitting seems to be so peaceful and relaxing, just a big difference in the 2 from what I see myself. I crochet a lot and it's a great therapy for my pain, I don't think I have time for learning a new craft when there is still other aspects to crochet I haven't ventured into. I've actually watched knitting videos to enjoy listening to them while crocheting, just to hear a gentle voice going thru the instructions! One girl was an easy to understand British girl and I loved hearing about her life while she worked and talked too. I know a couple of big time popular crochet instructor/designers who also knit and they go back & forth like it's nothing.

I can't help but wonder if I'd take so easily to learn knitting and I did crochet, but I also wonder if I could afford and learn all the types of needles, with the circular and detachable and all of that! I'd probably have to go simple, I actually did both crochet & knit basic stitches very easily in high school but didn't pick up on either until crochet many years later. I used to love cross stitch tho and I believe I've done every hand craft there is throughout my life since the 70's . It gets my creative juices flowing and endorphins racing!
    Hi Susan,
    My grandma taught me how to crochet. I was probably a teenager when I learned how. A while back I learned to knit. I don't knit that much though. Actually, it's been quite some time since I knitted. I can pick it up like I can pick up crocheting if I want to do it but I have to think a bit more about knitting and it gets heavy holding the knitting needles. I don't like the circular knitting needles. Sometimes I might want to knit. I've crocheted a lot more than I've knitted. When I first learned how, I did knit for a while.

When I was first learning to knit I used 2 long crochet hooks as knitting needles (unless it was only 1 long crochet hook) because I didn't know how to be able to get the stitch without a hook on the needle. It takes practice and I can knit w/knitting needles but I think it's more relaxing to crochet.

There are crochet stitches that look like knitting. Some people knit loose. Some people knit tight. There is a way to knit your stitches so that when you knit your stitches slide from one needle to the other needle but I haven't figured out how to do that even though someone had showed me.

Some people like double pointed knitting needles. Double pointed knitting needles or (dpn's) are short knitting needles. when you knit w/dpn's you need 4 needles. Some people use 5. You have 3 or 4 dpn's together and knit w/the other one. Example: you put your stitches on 3 dpn's and knit w/the 4th dpn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    Two things I want to add:

1. Depression (you have), chronic pain from disease (I have), many other disabilities that people have (a lot of us on this site!!), crochet is therapeutic for all of those things. Those of us who crochet, or knit, know it, and so does science now. Even kids with autism and add benefit from it. It's a focus on something good & creative, it keeps me from dwelling on my misery and it does that for millions of people, so keep doing something every day if you can, frog it out and re-do if it's not to your liking, it's no big deal. And don't even worry about mistakes, that's how we learn!

2. From day one I practiced new stitches making bath/kitchen towels, even odd sized cloths depending on the amount of yarn you have, use them for such as wiping hands in the kitchen instead of using paper towels when you cook or whatever... I still do it and have one heck of a fantastic collection of cloths I use daily and love them dearly! I never 'waste' stitches making nothing, lol, I make something with every new stitch! Even headbands can be goof for that. Needing kitchen and bath cloths of various sizes is actually what made me decide to learn to crochet, and it has saved my sanity.

When I had my crochet blog site I opened up about my disabilities and people came forward in the open and in private to tell me how crochet helps with their problems of all kinds, physical and mental!
    I can relate. I have chronic pain in my right hip. I had an MRI on Wed, and yesterday, it really ached. When I am in pain like that, I crochet to take my mind off the pain. It really helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooters View Post
    I do not know how to read patterns for crocheting. I know how to do simple patterns but, the patterns that I really like are too hard to make because I usually make really simple afghans but, never of the tougher patterns because I don't understand the stitches. It would be great if you could, in your own way, to help me with patterns that I might be able to actually make. Jean Marie, I would be so happy if you could start me out, with your help, with a new afghan that has more then what I usually make. Thanks so much in advance, Scooters/Suzanne
    Do you watch youtube videos suzanne? They have all the stitches demonstrated on there visually so you can learn them, and many websites have charts posted that tell what the abbreviations are for the stitches that patterns use.

Here's one of the best updated abbrev charts there is, by moogly. Tamara Kelly is the moogly site and she has lots of videos on youtube & her site, teaching stitches.

Crochet Abbreviations - moogly

Meladora's Crochet Designs is Candy Lifshes, she teaches stitches too, as do many others of course. There are some amazing designers/instructors online who give usually freely of their time.

I learned to crochet all the basic stitches and well beyond, plus learned to write my own patterns all thru youtube, then I used websites.
    It's really easy, and since you've started with easy, you can move up to intermediate and then advanced stitches, but take it one level at a time and only do stitches that you like and can handle.
    I hope you don't mind me telling you this, I thought it would help you a lot like it did me.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-12-2016 at 11:21 PM.

4. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Susan,
    My grandma taught me how to crochet. I was probably a teenager when I learned how. A while back I learned to knit. I don't knit that much though. Actually, it's been quite some time since I knitted. I can pick it up like I can pick up crocheting if I want to do it but I have to think a bit more about knitting and it gets heavy holding the knitting needles. I don't like the circular knitting needles. Sometimes I might want to knit. I've crocheted a lot more than I've knitted. When I first learned how, I did knit for a while.

When I was first learning to knit I used 2 long crochet hooks as knitting needles (unless it was only 1 long crochet hook) because I didn't know how to be able to get the stitch without a hook on the needle. It takes practice and I can knit w/knitting needles but I think it's more relaxing to crochet.

There are crochet stitches that look like knitting. Some people knit loose. Some people knit tight. There is a way to knit your stitches so that when you knit your stitches slide from one needle to the other needle but I haven't figured out how to do that even though someone had showed me.

Some people like double pointed knitting needles. Double pointed knitting needles or (dpn's) are short knitting needles. when you knit w/dpn's you need 4 needles. Some people use 5. You have 3 or 4 dpn's together and knit w/the other one. Example: you put your stitches on 3 dpn's and knit w/the 4th dpn.

The sound of all the different needles needed sort of throws me, I think it might be frustrating for me to learn knitting and then I wouldn't enjoy it. I adapted to crochet really well and figured only one hook in my hand would be easier for me to learn and to keep up with. When I picked up a hook it was like I'd done it before, I just started being able to do it right away, then made patterns my own, then I learned to write my own.

I don't love the writing down part of it, but if I don't do that I can't remember it to repeat that pattern later. It would have been wonderful to have someone who knew how to crochet to teach me, more fun to learn but I did well on my own and enjoyed it right from the start. I'm gonna stick with crochet only even tho I'd considered trying to knit. I think the needles would be hard to hold and hard on my arms. I have done the stitching that looks like knitting, and one is very tedious and will not unravel for anything if you need it to, and works better with thicker yarn.

I'm trying to find good stitching right now to use some soft fine pink yarn I have for a spring piece, like a cowl. It's almost too soft, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. I've had a bad headache for the past few days, so am not thinking well. I'm going to look around more later. Have a great day, nice talking with you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ria68 View Post
    I'm not yet confident in my crochet just yet. It's something I LOVE doing and it's always been there as I said from a little girl, but it's said as one door closes another opens and I was devastated not to be able to get out or to work anymore, I just felt the life ebbing away from me as I slipped deeper into depression. I know it sounds silly, but crochet has given me something to live for, I'm enjoying learning new stitches all the time and your kinds words have given me a little confidence boost so I thank you all so much for your comments and look forward to sharing more as I learn more....
    Your items are all gorgeous! Please don't sell yourself short, you do beautiful work. I especially love the little bear hats with ears, so adorable.

It doesn't sound silly or strange that crochet has given you something to live for. I work full time, and I've also suffered from major depression my whole life. After a terrible year of several tragic events in my life, I picked up my crochet hook again. That was 4 years ago and I crochet most evenings and weekends. I mostly make baby blankets, scarves and large afghans, simple projects. Crocheting has helped me immensely, it's my therapy.

Be happy and crochet on!

Hugs,
    Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    What I did scooters was look up a particular stitch in a pattern I didn't know on YouTube. Simply type crochet (name of the stitch) and tutorial into the search tool and a detailed recording should be available for you to watch. What's so good about learning this way is that you have a 'visual' to copy which I personally found was so much easier than reading how a stitch should be done, with all the yarn overs, pull through loops etc....my head would just get in a right old muddle. But with YouTube I had control over my learning. I could stop the recording and go back if I needed to to watch over and over until I was able to manage the stitch. Most tutorials go at a good slow pace too so you can generally crochet along with them once you get the hang of it, but can gain more confidence continuing to watch as you work the stitch.

I also keep a little notebook for myself and in there I write the different stitches down in terminology that wouldn't make sense to anyone, but it makes absolute sense for me. I learned 'my way'.

If that's not a good way 'for you'however, Then maybe just the notebook and writing how to do the stitches in a way that 'you' will understand.

8. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shelly. Sounds like you really understand and thank you for the nice comments too. Xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work!!! anyone would love to receive them!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your crocheted items are very nice!! Keep building your confidence because your work is beautiful & thanks for sharing!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Such a variety of beautiful crochet items! Thank you for sharing!