Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

A mod podge project

Hi everyone! is there anyone out there that likes to do other crafts as well as crocheting? Is there anyone out there that doesn't know what you can do with Mod Podge? If you've seen items finished with Mod Podge, but have never ever done anything with it.....here's all you need to Mod Podge something: either wrapping paper in different colors, comic books or fabric with designs on it (flowers, figures, etc) and of course a box or something you want to use to to do the Mod Podge on.

Here is an empty ice cream box. I cleaned the ice cream out of the container, found some fabric to cover it with and cut the designs out (doesn't have to be perfect). Then with a paint brush I dipped into the Mod Podge and and painted a place on the ice cream box, big enough to stick a piece of the fabric onto it. Then I painted the back side of the fabric and placed it on the box and painted glue over the fabric again with the Mod Podge until it was all wet. Brush out the wrinkles and don't worry that the white stuff is covering up your design because it dries clear as glass! And it really doesn't matter, if you like some wrinkles, you can just smooth some of them out and leave the rest. I overlapped the edges and and kept putting more on until I had the box covered. I also did the lid. (Mod Podge is just white glue that dries clear) . Then I found some tiny little paper note books that I have had in my craft "stash trash" for years, and glued them around the box. When I liked the way it all looked I gave the whole thing about 2 or 3 more coats of Mod Podge, cut small holes into the ends of the box for a handle. Then I chose yarn that matches the colors in my box and braided them for the handle. It is FINISHED!

Does this spark a little bit of interest in anyone out there? If you have grandkids, it would make a good afternoon project for them. They can put their art work on it, use fabric printed with little girl things, or for the boys there is fabric with cars, animals, etc. And the best part is there is no painting, just the glue! (I would still put an old shirt on the children in case they get sloppy with the glue !) Shoe boxes are great to make storage boxes with. Cigar boxes are also great for your projects. Pringles potato chip tube boxes with lids are good for storing crayons and colored pencils, you can also make memory boxes with using your family photos on them. Actually you can Mod Podge a table top if you want to! And you don't have to know how to paint a picture to do it! Use your imagination and have fun!!!!

I recently made a cabin using a corregated cardboard box from Walmart that cost me less than a dollar. They have several different sizes that sell for us to use for shipping purposes. I just unfolded the box and taped the seams together to form the box, and I covered it with a pretty designed fabric and glued paper windows onto it, a door and I didn't cut any holes in the box, making it perfect for a storage box. I made a roof for it and found some fabric in my stuff that looks like shingles and covered the roof and made it so you can just lift it off to get into it.

I am not trying to get you to give up crocheting, NO! NO! NO! I love to crochet too, but, It is just something to do that is a little different and a short rest from the crocheting. I have many crafts I like to do besides crocheting. I love to sketch, paint pictures, do plastic canvas projects, quilting,etc. You name it probably I have tried it! If you do, please post your projects. I would love to see them.

A mod podge project-001-jpgHave fun, Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 11-04-2015 at 08:01 AM.

2. Thanks andreala thanked for this post
    Likes SharonO, LilWing4ever, Carynjoyb liked this post