Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 5 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    Hi Shelley, Thanks for the compliment. Nope I do not block my afghans. For afghans I use acrylic yarn, mostly Red Heart Super Saver (which could probably survive a nuclear war) and Caron Simply Soft. Red Heart gets softer every time it is washed and is perfect for afghans that get a lot of wear and tear. I also use a lot of Bernet Baby Coordinates for my baby afghans and you could not block that stuff to save your life. But I like baby afghans squishy anyway.

I have always used a larger hook because I crochet with a very firm, even tension and if I did not I would not be able to achieve the correct gauge where necessary. MY afghans seem to hold their shape well and I find most acrylic yarns are more or less self blocking. WOOL is a whole different matter. Wool must be blocked or felted but I do not work with wool.

I am old now. I want my life to be drip dry or wash and wear,
    Moms with kids need wash and wear, Working women need wash and wear....Elderly need wash and wear

I don't care if it is not expensive yarn, if the colors are not my first choice or if a beginner created it.....
    if it is practical I find it beautiful and if it is made with love I find it amazing.
    Hey Doris Ann, I mostly use Red Heart SS for big afghans, and I totally agree with you. There's always a big selection of bright colors at Walmart and some of the other craft stores. The yarn gets softer and softer with each wash. It's very durable and I want my afghans to be USED!!! Easy to care for, just toss it in the washer and dryer.

I also use a lot of Caron Simply Soft yarn for baby blankets and scarves, too. It's not as easy to work with, to me anyway, the yarn tends to split, but I'm fine with using it. A lot of people don't care much for it because it the splitting can be frustrating to use.

Like you, I don't block my afghans, I like them to be soft and squishy, too. I just stretch them out and shape them that way.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Hey Doris Ann, I mostly use Red Heart SS for big afghans, and I totally agree with you. There's always a big selection of bright colors at Walmart and some of the other craft stores. The yarn gets softer and softer with each wash. It's very durable and I want my afghans to be USED!!! Easy to care for, just toss it in the washer and dryer.

I also use a lot of Caron Simply Soft yarn for baby blankets and scarves, too. It's not as easy to work with, to me anyway, the yarn tends to split, but I'm fine with using it. A lot of people don't care much for it because it the splitting can be frustrating to use.

Like you, I don't block my afghans, I like them to be soft and squishy, too. I just stretch them out and shape them that way.

Shelley
    Shelley, I have heard a lot of persons say they have a problem with Caron yarn splitting. I have never had that problem with Caron yarn. I use the Susan Bates inline hooks and the hook part is flatter than the hook part on the Boye crochet hooks. The biggest reason I don't like Boye hooks is because the hook feels bulky to me and I have a problem with it splitting the yarn regardless of which yarn I am using. Caron Simply Soft is a softer yarn when first purchased. But I do not have a problem with the Red Heart Soft yarn. Have your tried the Red Heart Soft or the Red Heart Love yarns ? Such yummy colors, drives me crazy, calls my name when I walk by. I have to touch it all. Agony when I am on a mission NOT TO BUY YARN because I have soooooo much. So anyway I wonder how much the style/type hook has to do with yarn splitting versus the type of yarn and the method with which we hold our hooks when we crochet.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, I have heard a lot of persons say they have a problem with Caron yarn splitting. I have never had that problem with Caron yarn. I use the Susan Bates inline hooks and the hook part is flatter than the hook part on the Boye crochet hooks. The biggest reason I don't like Boye hooks is because the hook feels bulky to me and I have a problem with it splitting the yarn regardless of which yarn I am using. Caron Simply Soft is a softer yarn when first purchased. But I do not have a problem with the Red Heart Soft yarn. Have your tried the Red Heart Soft or the Red Heart Love yarns ? Such yummy colors, drives me crazy, calls my name when I walk by. I have to touch it all. Agony when I am on a mission NOT TO BUY YARN because I have soooooo much. So anyway I wonder how much the style/type hook has to do with yarn splitting versus the type of yarn and the method with which we hold our hooks when we crochet.
    I like the Boye hooks the best. Maybe it's because I hold my hook like a pencil? I've found, though, that it's much more comfortable for me to use a Bates hook when I'm working with 100% cotton yarn. I feel like I have more control of the yarn with the Bates hooks, but only for cotton yarn. For me, a Boye hook glides much better with acrylic yarn. I guess I should try using a Bates hook next time I use Caron Simply Soft? It might just make it easier for me to work with.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley when I first taught myself to crochet I followed the book and held my hook (overhand) like a pencil. I sometimes still do if I am making something delicate like a doily or lace shawl but I notice I crochet much slower when I hold my hook that way. I have found it much easier to hold my hook (underhand) like a butter knife if I am working on large projects with yarn. My hands are fast, repetitive stitches allow an auto rhythm to develop a rapid flow and I usually finish an afghan in 5 to 7 days. (I am retired) I believe I have less stress on my hands and wrist while holding my hook in the underhand grip. Everyone knows there is more than one path to any given point. I always recommend everyone try new ideas, see what you like or do not. Not everything works for everyone so develop your own style and stay with it. You only have to satisfy yourself.

Dorie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    I like the Boye hooks the best. Maybe it's because I hold my hook like a pencil? I've found, though, that it's much more comfortable for me to use a Bates hook when I'm working with 100% cotton yarn. I feel like I have more control of the yarn with the Bates hooks, but only for cotton yarn. For me, a Boye hook glides much better with acrylic yarn. I guess I should try using a Bates hook next time I use Caron Simply Soft? It might just make it easier for me to work with.

Shelley
    I just bought a bunch of caron yarn for Shelley's project she shared with us for her mother. It will be really sad if the yarn splits on me! how do I know what kind of hook I have if I've already thrown away the packaging! any help to know which hook is a bates hook or Boye hook?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,Dona. I just looked at my hooks. The company names are on the finger grip part of the hook and also the hook size. Maybe mine are older and this isn't done anymore? They are aluminum hooks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    When you do a Russian join the yarn will be thicker where you join the yarn. I want to try the invisible join sometime to join yarn. I tried it before. It has something to do with braiding the yarn. The Russian join is quicker but when you join the ends of 2 pieces of yarn it will be thicker than the rest of the yarn.

I'm making squares for the exchange squares. Although I'm not in it now I'll have squares to send out when I'm in the square exchange again. I have thought of getting a blank hook it rug canvas and using the pieces of yarn to make my own design but I haven't done that.

I crocheted some leaves and when I was finished crocheting one leaf I didn't fasten it off; I just continued and crocheted another leaf. So now I have a chain of leaves with one leaf in the center of the chain. It could be a necklace but I was trying for a square. I tried crocheting around the leaves to separate them but then you can't tell that it's leaves. I also tried to put it on a square for a border. That didn't seem to work either. If you have any ideas what I can do with a chain of leaves you can let me know.

Jean Marie
    That's why I loved my blogsite so much, I gathered so much good info. I have all of the joining info on one great blog post,and it's still online till the end of July, if you read the titles it's in there so you'll know which post it was. If you felt like going back thru them that is, lol! The joining post brought me more comments than any other one, esp from long time crocheters. I learned so much gathering links for that site! Depending on the size of the leaves you might be able to make a scarf Jean Marie, or add some flowers to the sides of it to make it long enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley when I first taught myself to crochet I followed the book and held my hook (overhand) like a pencil. I sometimes still do if I am making something delicate like a doily or lace shawl but I notice I crochet much slower when I hold my hook that way. I have found it much easier to hold my hook (underhand) like a butter knife if I am working on large projects with yarn. My hands are fast, repetitive stitches allow an auto rhythm to develop a rapid flow and I usually finish an afghan in 5 to 7 days. (I am retired) I believe I have less stress on my hands and wrist while holding my hook in the underhand grip. Everyone knows there is more than one path to any given point. I always recommend everyone try new ideas, see what you like or do not. Not everything works for everyone so develop your own style and stay with it. You only have to satisfy yourself.

Dorie
    Dorie, my mom taught me how to crochet 40 years ago. And she taught me to hold my hook like a pencil, so that's the way I learned. Like you, I also work very fast with a rhythm. I can't use hooks with thick handles on them. A while back, I made a lapghan out of thick chunky yarn and I used a size Q hook. For that big of a hook, I couldn't hold it like a pencil because I have small hands, so I held it like a knife. I didn't like it at all. It cramped my hand and felt awkward the whole time.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
    I just bought a bunch of caron yarn for Shelley's project she shared with us for her mother. It will be really sad if the yarn splits on me! how do I know what kind of hook I have if I've already thrown away the packaging! any help to know which hook is a bates hook or Boye hook?
    Donna, just start out using the hooks you have. If you think it's not working out, you can buy a hook that's got a different shape on the end. Look carefully in the package and you'll see the difference.

I'm really happy to hear you're going to make the same afghan! I ran out of the variegated yarn I'm using for the flowers and borders on the squares and I ordered more from Hobby Lobby. I'm waiting for it to arrive. It should be here today or tomorrow, I hope.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley I taught myself to crochet in 1957. I received a total of 5.00 gift money for my 14th birthday (that was a lot of money then) and I could not wait to get to town. I bought a Susan Bates hook, a “how to” book (still have both) and spent all the rest of the money on yarn. Had a huge bag and suddenly realized I had no money for the bus ride home. In those days we wore “Penny loafers” only I kept nickels in mine in case I had to make a phone call. Those nickels saved me from having to walk home. Yes I still have the afghan I made too. Long story there and believe me you don’t want to get me started.
    As for my advice to Donna: As a person practices the art of crochet, everyone develops their own way to hold their hook, their own method of “yarn over the hook”, their own twist of the wrist on the “pull through the loop”. On YouTube I have seen some crocheters doing yarn over as if they were knitting and I have seen some knitters doing yarn over as if they were crocheting. There are no Knit or Crochet Police we all develop our own style that is unique to each of us. I would like to blame the hook or the yarn for my misdeeds but the fact remains we are the ones responsible. If some yarn is harder to work with you just got to slow down a bit. No matter how stubborn your yarn if you want the “look” you have to persevere cause you know it will be worth it. If you ask me what yarn is hard to work with I would say “Eyelash yarn” also known as “Fun Fur”. That stuff can really tickle your attitude. But that does not stop me....just makes me adjust my craft.