Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, This afghan is so simple only 48 squares. Rounds 1 through 4 are a basic granny square. The border color is Red Heart Super Saver Warm Brown used on rounds 5, 6 and the joining/border round. Round 5: sc in any sp between clusters, chain 3, single crochet in next space, repeat to corner, in corners work sc, ch 3, sc. Round 6, 3 dc in each 3 chain space around working 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc in each corner. On this afghan I used the 5 chain continuous join, my favorite, but the 3 chain is good also. I find Granny afghans heavy so like like a more open lacy join.

This project is shown on my blog at the bottom of the same page my 35 squares afghan which is a pattern for a different square. Patterns are free here Ideal Delusions: 35 SQUARES

This page also has links for the 2 part continuous join method of joining video on YouTube. You only have two yarn ends for the whole joining and I can join a whole afghan of this size in one evening. There is also another link for a photo tutorial of the continuous join that is off site and not mine.

If you have never tried the continuous join for connecting granny squares you have no idea what you are missing. I have practiced the Art of Crochet since 1957 and never tried the continuous join as I thought it would be too confusing. After I tried it I found out I was so wrong. I also found out I had first used the continuous join over 30 years ago when I made a lace tablecloth. Now I think of all the years I had a love/hate relationship with granny squares....loved making them, hated joining them and I could almost hate myself for being so dense.

The nature of the continuous join creates a SC chain border all around the afghan and I extended the border itself with rows of a simple "V" stitch the last round of the border was "V" stitch with a picot. If you have more questions there is an email contact me app on the page

What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-462-jpg
    Last edited by DorisAnn; 07-11-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

2. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Loving your granny square
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing, DorisAnn! I am going to follow your leads and not throw any piece of yarn away but give it a useful home.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doris,
    I'm like you. I keep all my pieces of yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really love this granny square afghan. Very pretty.
    ---HarriEtta

7. Likes imalefty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crochetdiva, When I decided to learn to crochet I bought a book and I was so happy with my first granny square and so horrified when I realize I needed about 80 more of them to make anything from them. That's a long story I won't tell here. Love/Hate granny squares but I know I have made thousands of them over the last 58 years.

This afghan is so simple to make. I put a link to the pattern page in the post with the other photo on this string or you can go to the link for my blog at the bottom of my post. I have several afghans on the "35 Squares" page. One is a box stitch square, one is a regular granny and this one is a combo of both.

For the 35 squares if you make 1 square each weekday and 2 squares on Saturday and Sunday you will have enough for the afghan in less than 30 days with almost no effort. The continuous join and border finish it quickly and in just a few minutes a day you can have a lovely afghan to keep, donate or gift.

The Coco Granny Afghan I posted here has 48 squares and it is a bit larger than the 35 squares. You can gather up your extra basic granny blocks, or make new ones. Choose a basic color to join them, do one or two rows of that basic color (depending on your style of granny block ) then run the continuous join and border. The squares come out about 7 X 7 inches that way. So very easy and surprisingly fast.What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-box-stitch-granny-jpg
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

9. Likes crochetdiva liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    Thanks Crochetdiva, When I decided to learn to crochet I bought a book and I was so happy with my first granny square and so horrified when I realize I needed about 80 more of them to make anything from them. That's a long story I won't tell here. Love/Hate granny squares but I know I have made thousands of them over the last 58 years.

This afghan is so simple to make. I put a link to the pattern page in the post with the other photo on this string or you can go to the link for my blog at the bottom of my post. I have several afghans on the "35 Squares" page. One is a box stitch square, one is a regular granny and this one is a combo of both.

For the 35 squares if you make 1 square each weekday and 2 squares on Saturday and Sunday you will have enough for the afghan in less than 30 days with almost no effort. The continuous join and border finish it quickly and in just a few minutes a day you can have a lovely afghan to keep, donate or gift.

The Coco Granny Afghan I posted here has 48 squares and it is a bit larger than the 35 squares. You can gather up your extra basic granny blocks, or make new ones. Choose a basic color to join them, do one or two rows of that basic color (depending on your style of granny block ) then run the continuous join and border. The squares come out about 7 X 7 inches that way. So very easy and surprisingly fast.What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-box-stitch-granny-jpg
    Such a beautiful piece! You've really got the calculations for the squares figured out so good, that's helpful info! I save all scraps. even snips to stuff things with, longer pieces or to make flowers and such, I just never throw away any yarn!

11. Likes crochetdiva liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, what a beautiful afghan. So, many pretty colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    I never throw out any scrap of yarn, the tiniest pieces are collected in baggies.
    Some are used for stuffing, some go out for the birds to build their nests in the spring.

Any yarn long enough for granny squares goes into an old picnic basket. I keep a dedicated I-9 hook in the basket and when the mood strikes me I crochet granny squares. When I have enough accumulated I use a full skein of yarn to join and turn them into granny square projects, afghans, shawls, etc, but mostly afghans. I get about 6 "unexpected" afghans a year that way.

Any yarn ends too small for granny squares but longer than 10 inches get tied together and wound into a ball of "found yarn"
    I use this found yarn to crochet Chi Ba Ba for my local Vet's office who work with the animal shelter.
    Chi Ba Ba's are merely C2C blankets made in the size of pet cages or crate to aid the animals they treat.
    What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-coco-granny-jpg
    Hi Doris Ann, I love the tan as a background for the afghans and I never throw throw away an scraps of yarn.I just ran across a zip-lock bag with tiny squares I made a while back and forgot about them. They can be centers for squares when I get enough.

Looking at your afghans reminds me that the old fashioned granny square really still makes a beautiful afghan.
    I want to know if that is the Russian join? I really think it is pretty.
    Love , Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a very pretty shawl