Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the copyright for 1943 is over I can post the pattern.
    Last edited by BobbieJoe; 04-28-2015 at 03:33 PM.

2. Likes karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy if you made that in 1943 you both have aged very very well. LOL /just kidding.

4. Likes karenlatlas, BobbieJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't it wonderful that we can do so much with our hands? Nice bag. I bet you cherish that book from 1943.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    I cherish all my old books! I just love them! I love to share them, just don't let anyone borrow them anymore. Have had people take them and I never see them again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, friends take you for granted sometimes. I learned my lesson not to loan out anything I want to keep.
    ---HarriEtta

8. Likes BobbieJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Bobbi Jo, that purse is beautiful, and it doesn't look a day over 20!!! Hahahahaha I couldn't help myself! Keep up the good work and please keep on sharing your work with us! Betty Lynn

10. Thanks BobbieJoe thanked for this post
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    BobbieJoe,

Your purse is beautiful! My Mom made one with a very similar stitch and the same color, but it didn't have a flat bottom. I have it now and won't get rid of it.
    You did great work!
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

12. Thanks BobbieJoe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbieJoe View Post
    Attachment 12257

With warm weather coming, I wanted a new purse. So, this is what I picked.

It is from a book I have from 1943.
    LOVE this, what a nice piece of vintage crochet brought to life - great job!

14. Thanks BobbieJoe thanked for this post
    Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbieJoe View Post
    It is Easy to make Hats Scarves and Accessories. Book # 192.
    I haven't lined it. I have been thinking about how I want to do it.
    I am thinking about putting some pockets on the lining. I am also thinking about an attached change purse.
    The pattern calls for a square of thin cardboard for the bottom support of the bag. I am going to use a balsawood.
    Hi BobbieJo, everyone! Nice bag, I like the neutral color too. I'm just adding my 2 cents worth to this post if yall don't mind. I have a few ideas for handbags I've found by searching when I made various ones, and there was a lot of online info available! It's good to line them mostly to protect the yarn and if you carry them a lot, but it depends I guess too on the yarn it's made from, some are jute-like and with a basket or bowl some of those are stronger like RH Super Saver and such.
    I've gotten some of the softest and prettiest RHSS recently that a friend of mine got for me at a thrift store near her, I just couldn't believe how different some of it is. I think they've been working with changes in their production methods, since some is soft, some rope-like, some even sort of rubbery. I don't buy it new or intentionally really since there is so much other to pick from.

And like you said BobbieJoe, a lining is good so you can have pockets, or you can make divided areas with mesh or plastic and cover it. It's good to line the inside bottoms in ones that you can, and there are almost limitless types of materials that are good to use for this. You can cover plastics or foams, meshes, or even harder materials with crochet, or fabric, even quilted fabric.

Add 4 thick plastic or metal buttons to the bottom of bags to protect that part even tho I wouldn't set mine on a floor. I learned a lot of this by searching and saving various ideas that people have used and documented. I showed a good zipper attachment method in a blog post I'm putting below FYI. It shows how you can crochet the zipper in to the top, side or inside of a bag too, using a sharp pointed hook made for that. I got a loft of feedback on that post. There are some other good crochet products on this post too. I find a lot of ideas while browsing ideas for the blog site and can always use more, so I read all of what people post in here too!

2-26-15 Friday Flowers; Helpful Crochet Products; Patterns; Crocheting a Zipper & Edgings Onto Fabric; Cheat Sheets; Polymer Clay Tutorial for Hooks | Soul Shine Creations By Susan

I'm going to go make a new thread now and post my May 8th (yesterday's) post on here now, and I need to spend some time in here reading, browsing and catching up with everyone! My blog site keeps me way too busy I think, it takes me quite a few hours every week to collect, prepare, edit, spell check, be sure it posts properly, publish it in several places, etc etc. I truly want to do actual crochet more and learn to make garments and make them fit well, too. I'm crocheting slower to prevent more arm & shoulder pain, it won't stop but I can help it some by going slow and relaxing while I crochet.

I made a Road Trip Scarf a little bigger than usual to wear also as a shawl or sideways, and plan to make smaller one too. I need to get pics ready to post next week for the finished one. I added Surface Crochet to it with another color, since my variegated colors were a little more drab than I thought, it's called Zebra and is black, white, and light and dark gray, and it looks nicer I think with the red/burgundy I added. Well, I forgot that I did post a sneak peek of the colors last week.
    I'm making an African Violet plant right now, very real looking. I loved it since I 1st saw the pattern last year and I never could get the real ones to keep flowering! I have a great but long to-do list, and am itching to do more from it. Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 05-09-2015 at 12:18 PM.

16. Likes BobbieJoe, karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    your bag is very pretty. You done a great job