Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 5 of 7 First ... 34567 Last

Post Thanks / Like

doily

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrey View Post
    A member (Davena) asked what my favorite item that I made over the 61 years that I have been crocheting and that was a simple request which turned out to be very difficult. After all the years to come up with one favorite! After consideration it would have to be a pineapple table covering made out of crochet thread with a close second of a queen sized bed spread. Let me see if I can manage to attach a picture.
    beautiful work

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo,
    I have: When getting back to knitting after crocheting for such a long time I've wondered if I would remember how but it comes back to you once you pick up those knitting needles.
    Jean Marie

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,

Thanks! I'm sure I will get back into the swing of things if I ever try knitting again.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You did all that from a picture! It is a work of art. Wish I had your gift. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

Rose Ann

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley (and John),
    My mom taught me to crochet when I was only about 8 years old. I am 56 now and have only just begun to teach myself how to knit - off the internet, of course. I have really enjoyed learning to knit and, although I am not very good at it yet and I am still pretty slow, I have actually made a few things that turned out quite nice and I am very proud of them. So far I have only stuck to flat, straight things like scarves, but one has to begin somewhere, right? My advice is, if you have tried to learn one way and it seems awkward to you even after a week, go online and see other ways of doing it. I learned using the "English" method, but was never really comfortable with it. Then I watched some videos on how to do the "Continental" method, and not only is it more comfortable for me, but my speed has improved and I'm actually enjoying the practice! I am now watching videos on knitting in the round and some of the many, many methods of casting on. It is almost like entering into an alternate reality. LOL

Mark
    "We cannot do any great things. We can do only small things with great love."
    Mother Theresa

Post Thanks / Like
    I too like the continental method. This method allows me to hold the yarn just like I do for crochet. I have only made 5 dish cloths so I am just?st like you doing then straight edged items. I counted my speed and if I am not watching TV I knit right at 168 stitches a minute!e after knitting for one week.. I doubt that I will get much faster cause I watch TV while crafting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't knit fast. Once in a while I have trouble getting the yarn through the stitch. I've knit 2 together, purled 2 together, did a knit 1, make 1. I've tried the wrap and turn -would have to see how to do it again. not sure if I did the psso right. and I've done the bind off. I found the wrap and turn on utube when I was looking for -how to turn on double pointed needles. I found that turning on regular needles is just switching hands. Oh, I also learned that the stockinette stitch on double pointed needles is just the knit stitch. I'm pretty sure it's the same on circular needles. The stockinette stitch on straight knitting needles is knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row, purl 1 row. I never liked circular needles but I found out that you can get it so the ends of the circular needle comes off and you can buy what size cable you want for your circular needle.

Maybe I'm telling you something you already know. Maybe you know more than me about knitting and you probably know more about crocheting too. I don't know a whole lot about crocheting and I've been crocheting for quite a while.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trueblue2007 View Post
    Shelley (and John),
    My mom taught me to crochet when I was only about 8 years old. I am 56 now and have only just begun to teach myself how to knit - off the internet, of course. I have really enjoyed learning to knit and, although I am not very good at it yet and I am still pretty slow, I have actually made a few things that turned out quite nice and I am very proud of them. So far I have only stuck to flat, straight things like scarves, but one has to begin somewhere, right? My advice is, if you have tried to learn one way and it seems awkward to you even after a week, go online and see other ways of doing it. I learned using the "English" method, but was never really comfortable with it. Then I watched some videos on how to do the "Continental" method, and not only is it more comfortable for me, but my speed has improved and I'm actually enjoying the practice! I am now watching videos on knitting in the round and some of the many, many methods of casting on. It is almost like entering into an alternate reality. LOL

Mark
    Mark, my mom taught me how to knit when I was only 5, I was in kindergarten and I made a light green dish cloth. I've never knitted anything since then, other than several swatches that I've worked on in the past couple of months (I'm 51 now). I make the swatches to practice and then rip them out and do it again. I'm not very good at it though lol. Mom told me to use the continental style because you hold your yarn just like you do when crocheting. I've tried it both ways and must admit that the continental method is much easier for me than the English.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I like holding the yarn like you do in crocheting when I knit but sometimes I wrap the yarn around with my left hand but when I purl it's easier if I wrap the yarn around with my left hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face pattern

I would love to get that pattern I have never seen a more beautiful "doily" I have been crocheting for allot of years! great job!!