Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Afghan From 1976

This was my first major project when I was only 13, in 1976. I made this with my mom. She taught me how to make the roses and weave in my yarn ends. We each made about half the blocks and she sewed it together. At the time, my favorite colors were orange and lime green. My own kids grew up with this blanket, too, and I still use it.

Shelley
    Attached Images Attached Images Afghan From 1976-photo-1-jpg Afghan From 1976-photo-6-jpg Afghan From 1976-photo-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    What a lovely afghan! I can see all the memories that it holds for you. Things like this I call treasures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely a keepsake and I love those colors now. Beautiful work. Love it!!

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow it looks brand new!!! You and your mom did a great job. I love the colors too!!! Love and hugs Winnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Its an heirloom? So Beautiful and Full of memories. How have you cleaned it??

Post Thanks / Like
    It s beautiful
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ladies, for your kind words.

Susan, I guess it is an heirloom. It sort of turned into one since it's almost 40 years old. As for cleaning it I just toss it in the washer and dryer. I guess it's proof that acrylic yarn never wears out lol. I've never bleached it and it's still bright and white. My mom sewed it together really good because it's never started falling apart. I've never had to mend it.

I keep it in my bedroom and use it on cold nights. When my grown boys come to visit they always want to use the "flower blanket" haha.

Shelley

8. Likes dancingbaehr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Love that blanket! I have a similar story, made a blanket for a wedding gift for DH's uncle in 1972. It, too had roses, leaves and a border like a frame on each square. Fast forward to a few yrs ago, Dh went up to see his uncle (who was dying) and his aunt took the blanket out of a chest and showed it to them. She used it in the winters, and on her daughter's bed. He said it was still looking great!

10. Likes dancingbaehr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is beautiful. Do you know the name of the pattern? Have you posted the pattern? I would love to have the pattern. It looks like one an old lady was trying to teach me how to make before she passed away.
    I am teaching myself how to crochet and not very good at it yet and this is my first post. Sorry if I get things in the wrong spot. mrchico10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    This was my first major project when I was only 13, in 1976. I made this with my mom. She taught me how to make the roses and weave in my yarn ends. We each made about half the blocks and she sewed it together. At the time, my favorite colors were orange and lime green. My own kids grew up with this blanket, too, and I still use it.

Shelley

12. Likes dancingbaehr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mrchico10 - Unfortunately, I don't have the pattern. I remember it was in either a Woman's Day or Family Circle magazine in the 1970s. I found several that are similar when I searched Google by typing in "crochet rose afghan pattern."

Shelley