Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Double Crocheted Baby Blanket

Here's my double crocheted baby blanket picture.

Texas Transplant
    Attached Images Attached Images Double Crocheted Baby Blanket-s6300859-jpg Double Crocheted Baby Blanket-s6300858-jpg 

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very pretty, the colors are so sweet. Is that the box stitch? At least that is what I call it.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea what it is called. I found it on a letter from Lynnis on how to make baby blankets to give hospitals to give out for babies. It has been about 20 years and I still end up doing this design. To me I would call it block on it's side. margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    your baby blankets are very pretty

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, ladies. This is the first great grandson and they want every thing for a boy. I wasn't going to put any pink in it but I didn't realize how much pink was in the veragated. It went pretty good with everything so I went ahead and left it. My only concern, it is very stiff. I am hoping that I can wash it and it will soften up the yarn. The other colors are Hobby Lobby's and they are very soft.
    Huggs Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you describe the stitch pattern that you used to make this blanket? It really is quite lovely and I'm always looking for new ways to quickly make baby blankets. Thanks!
    Auntie Alice

Post Thanks / Like
    Some call this a box stitch, but it lays on it's side . Chain as many as you want for width. It takes 4 stitches for a pattern. I crochet 120 and as I measured it as I put the first row in, I took some rows off. also I do a single crochet as the second row as it gives the work some stabitity Then the second row is worked in the crochets. In the second stitch do a slip stitch,chain 2 . In the same stitch do 3 double crochets. SKip 2 chains Slip stitch, chain 2, and 3 double crochet. Leaning this over gives it the laid down look, continue with the rest of the chain or the width you want. I usually find I have it too long and take some of the chain apart on the end. rnd 3.
    Chain 3 {the top of the last block should be showing] do a slip stitch into it and proceed to 2ch,3 dbl, slip stchinto the end of the next chain 2. Continue with the color you started out with. I usually make 3 rows of one color then add another color. I don't use a pattern in colors. I did 4 rows in one color, I was watching an old movie and not what my hands were doing. Around the edge I do 2 rows of the pattern, and usually 3 in the corners. I have made it in Baby yarn but it comes out so thin that I usually Frog it and look for the #4 yarn. Most of what I have here is from Hobby Lobby. Their yarn is soft and it won't break if it gets caught on something. Red Heart with Love works up well but so far I haven't seen any baby colors. The letter from Lynnis said this works well for a baby blankit because it doesn't have big holes for a baby to catch their fingers. Hope you have fun with this, I have made many of them. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Margaret, for sharing this pattern! I look forward to giving it a shot!
    Auntie Alice

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everybody! I'm new at this I love crocheting still not that good. I really like that pattern Margaret I think I'll give it a try
    Last edited by dianebeard; 06-15-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love your baby blanket. I have seen this stitch called the Crazy Stitch and Slanted Shell. I believe there are videos on Youtube for it. I love it.

Judi G