Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: doily trivet

Post Thanks / Like

doily trivet

Recently I visited a friend who had a round corkboard with a doily covering it, the doily was removalable for cleaning, anyways she used it as a hotpad/trivet, I would like to make one but no idea how to make a doily that would fit on the piece of round corkboard or wood and cover the edges, it look like back part might of had elastic, anyways her grandmother made it years ago....Just thought it was neat and I been searching the internet and can not find any thing like it. If someone has something or know of pattern could you share with me, sorry this is so long, and TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I did not understand. There are some patterns of round doilies you can stop any time and make little edge. They can be any size. May be I have similar patterns. Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an old oval one that my Mother used for years when we were growing up. A few years ago the base got wet (swelled up and ruined) and I just about cried. Anyway, since it was already ruined, I took off the cover, inside were 2 pieces of cardboard from a carton that had been cut the same size as the doily. It was covered with two pieces of what was probably an old white cotton sheet that was hand sewn together, one cotton piece on top, the other on the bottom, with the seam running along the edge. It was covered with a regular doily, that had about a 2" extra decreased section that tucked under that cardboard base.

I saved the oval doily, thinking some day I would remake the cardboard section, probably using a darker colored fabric because that white base was nasty from being used for years, even tho the doily was washed often.

These would make great gifts, even in a small size for a teapot or small casserole dish. Thanks for reminding me, I've been making a lot of doilies in the past few years, I think I'll make up some bases and add on that decrease section and give them as gifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can buy cork board in squares and cut them to the size you want and then you can make a doily to fit it
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pattern for a mini trellis doily that you might be able to use. You could use the suggestion above with cardboard or cork made to the size of the doily and add a colorful fabric underneath. Here is the link if you would like to look at it:

Age's Crochet Pages--Patterns--Mini Trellis Doily

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link for hot pad covers....old patterns. Hot Plate Mats Patterns | Crochet Patterns

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I thought, was to make your doily, then cut the cork to fit your doily.